Melissa's Cuisine: Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup

Monday, April 09, 2012

Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup


A few weeks ago, we had some unseasonably warm weather here in Michigan.  When temperatures are typically around 40 degrees, we experienced a week of near (or above) 80 degree days!  It was incredible, and gave us a chance to do some grilling.  Much to our dismay, though not a surprise at all, the weather has returned to normal and in fact it seems much cooler because we had such hot days.

I try not to make a lot of soup during the warm summer months, I prefer to grill meat and vegetables and eat a lot of fresh food.  But now that we're back to our typical cooler temperatures, I decided to take advantage of it and make some hot soup.  It's especially delicious on gray rainy days!

Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup

Serves 6

You will need:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups kale
salt
pepper

1.  In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.

2.  Crumble sausage and add to the pot.  Cook until browned, about 5 minutes.

3.  Transfer sausage to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.

4.  Discard all but 1 Tablespoon of fat from the pot.  Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.

5.  Return sausage to the pot and add chicken broth, water, and beans.

6.  Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.

7.  Stir in kale until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Season as needed with salt and pepper before serving.

Adapted from All You

4 comments:

  1. I love to find new soup recipes and can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I am adding it to my "gotta try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting a good bean soup to make. I have some kale leftover after making kale chips too. So, that may be on the menu tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a soul warming looking soup. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips