Melissa's Cuisine: Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

Monday, April 23, 2012

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas


For the Secret Recipe Club this month, I was assigned to Jamie's blog, Thrifty Veggie Mama.  I really enjoyed looking through Jamie's blog. Her family is vegetarian, and she cooks healthy and delicious meals for her young family. I'm looking forward to making more of her healthy recipes!
Secret Recipe Club

As I browsed through her blog, making a list of recipes, the whole wheat tortillas caught my eye.  Since they've been on my list to make for a while, and since I'm trying to limit the amount of white flour I'm eating, this recipe was perfect!  I'm not sure why I haven't made them before, probably because it's so easy to just buy a package at the store. I knew that they were pretty simple to make, but this month's Secret Recipe Club gave me the motivation I really needed. 
I will definitely be making these tortillas again, particularly because I need practice in rolling them out!  Let's just say I ended up with some very oddly shaped tortillas!  The whole wheat flour gave the tortillas a different flavor than a typical white flour tortilla, but I really enjoyed it.  My tortillas stiffened up after they cooled, so before using them, I would microwave them for a few seconds.

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

Makes 10 tortillas

You will need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup warm water

1.  Place the flour, salt, and oil in the bowl of your stand mixer and slowly mix.

2.  Add the water and mix until a dough is formed.  If it is too dry, add more water.  (I needed to add about 3 Tablespoons more water.)

3.  Cover the bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes.

4.  Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it a few times.

5.  Divide dough into 10-12 equal sized balls.
6.  Cover dough balls and let them sit for 20 minutes.
7.  Place each ball on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a circle about 8 inches in diameter.

8.  Place tortillas on a warmed griddle (mine was 350 degrees) and cook for 1-2 minutes per side. 

9.  Place cooked tortillas on a plate and cover with a towel to keep them warm and soft.

If you are not serving your tortillas right away they can be stored in an airtight container (or Ziploc bag) in the refrigerator.
Source:  Thrifty Veggie Mama

22 comments:

  1. I ended up with some odd shaped tortillas as well! Just adds to the homemade charm :) Glad you liked the tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always wanted to try this...looks like I have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent SRC choice! I've also wanted to make flour tortillas for a while now and seeing whole wheat tortillas is making me positively giddy! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you've just made me feel guilty for ever purchasing store-bought tortillas! I'd love to make these but it would definitely have to be a weekend thing. Way to go you though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade tortillas are so delicious! Every time I make them I wonder why I don't make them more often. Perfect SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems easy enough! I can't wait to try this! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really healthy - and lovely, even with the different shapes. That's just the charm of homemade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been meaning to try making my own tortillas for a while but like you I have been missing the motivation. Thanks so much for the post and the encouragement to do it. You made it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wanted to make these for a while also. This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for motivating me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Word of warning-when I made my own tortillas for the first time the family was so thrilled that I haven't been able to buy them from the store since C:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never seen like this kind of tortillas... I know its yummy but this look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great - I have been wanting to make my own for a while!
    ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade tortillas have been on my "to make" list for a long time now. And, who cares if they're not a perfect circle...that's how you know they're homemade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Thank you for sharing your Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Roll Recipe. My husband said they were the best thing ever and asked if he could eat them every day! Haha!

      Delete
  14. I've been wanting to try making tortillas but I haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to do this for so long! Why has it not happened? The long days of summer are approaching, I will now have the time. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cudos to you for making tortillas. I have never tried this. You make them sound pretty easy, though. (I like them free-form!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job tortilla making, never done it myself :)
    Great SRC post too..

    ReplyDelete
  18. My wife makes tortillas like these. I'll never eat those tasteless store-bought things again if I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to make these! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make it look so easy. Thanks for linking up the torilla recipe at Show & Tell.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is something I've never made at home. They sound wonderful and are not as difficult to make as I thought they'd be.This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips