Melissa's Cuisine: Hot Chocolate Snowballs

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hot Chocolate Snowballs

Last week I shared a recipe for Hot Chocolate Mix, and today I thought I'd share a recipe for the perfect cookie to enjoy with a cup of Hot Chocolate!  As a bonus, it also uses some of the Hot Chocolate Mix!  If you made it already, you're ahead of the game.  If not, go ahead and click on over to check it out...I'll still be here :)

When I saw this recipe on Alli-n-son, I knew I would love it.  As you'll find out tomorrow (when I do a guest post at Mom's Crazy Cooking), one of my favorite cookies is Pecan Snowballs.  This is a fun twist on snowballs and for someone who loves chocolate (me!), it's the perfect combination.  This cookie was my choice for the baking day I had with my Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law earlier this month.  I'm glad I chose it!

Hot Chocolate Snowballs

Makes 36 cookies

You will need:
2/3 cup butter, softened
3 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened (can also use cream cheese)
2/3 cup hot chocolate mix
1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for rolling
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-3/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

1.  In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, Neufchatel cheese, hot chocolate mix, powdered sugar, and vanilla.

2.  Add in flour and salt and mix until well blended.

3.  Cover and chill for 1 hour, or until dough can easily be handled.

4.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet.

5.  Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes, or until firm.

6.  Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes before rolling in powdered sugar. 

7.  Let them cool completely on a wire rack.

Source:  Alli-n-Son

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so creative! I'm pinning to make for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog hopping from This Chick Cooks...these look so good! I'm adding this to my "must-try" list!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. found you through flour me with love: christmas in July... New follower through linky followers. This looks wonderful and pinning so that I have it to make.
    marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I love this type of cookie and this spin is so cute. THanks for sharing on Pin It Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh....who wouldn't love to receive these! Making my mouth water. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in for these, love them! So glad you joined the hop and shared this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eager to try these; how long do they keep? Can you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, Since they are a firmer and more dry cookie, they tend to store longer than a typical soft cookie. I'd say they'll stay good at least a week if not longer in an airtight container. I have not frozen them before, but I'd imagine they would be just fine if you package them in an airtight container before freezeing.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, Melissa! :) I love these! Such a great recipe idea!
    Thank you for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week- Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fun idea! Nothing better together than snow and hot chocolate! Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, Melissa, I do hope you'll swing by to Food on Friday to add this to Christmas Favourites! Cheers from Carole from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will just love your Hot Chocolate Snowballs! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day.
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these with a peppermint hot chocolate mix. DIVINE! Def. better if you let them sit overnight in my opinion. Loved the flavor in these. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if you can add chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips