Melissa's Cuisine: Apricot Oat Drops

Friday, April 20, 2012

Apricot Oat Drops

I love to eat fruit. In fact, growing up I would choose a piece of fruit over ice-cream for dessert!  Even now I probably would too!  I enjoy every kind of fruit, and in various forms.  I like to dehydrate some fruits and eat them that way, or make it into fruit leather.  Of course, I enjoy fresh fruit as well.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Lancaster International Trading Company and  asked if I would be interested in sampling their Enduring Sun dried apricots.  I jumped on the opportunity to try something new.  I eagerly anticipated the day that my package would arrive, and I was not disappointed.  I received 4 types of dried apricots, along with a bag of sun-dried tomatoes (look for a recipe soon!).  Each of the apricot types has a slightly different flavor.  I sampled the Jelena (extra large sweet & tart with a hint of clementine), the Larissa (small & sweet with a hint of orange), the Natasha (unique flavor with a delightful lemony afterglow), and the Valentina (extra large sweet & slightly tart with a hint of clementine).  The apricots were delicious on their own, but I wanted to create a recipe to show off the flavors of the apricot.

I spent a few days thinking about what I could use the apricots for.  I actually came up with quite a few ideas, some of which may appear here pretty soon.  I was in the mood for a healthy cookie, and so I created these. I think they are delicious, and I have been enjoying them warmed up in the microwave.  The texture is similar to baked oatmeal, and I think the chocolate chips really complement the Jelena apricots.

Apricot Oat Drops

Makes 15 cookies

You will need:
1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup applesauce
1 banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Mix ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.

2.  Drop cookies by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet.

3.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until the cookie is set.


Disclosure: I received the apricots courtesy of Lancaster International Trading Company.  I was not compensated for this post.  Any thoughts and opinions in this post are my own. 

3 comments:

  1. Those apricots look lovely and juicy, even though they are dried and because of the fruit the cookies are quite healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips