Melissa's Cuisine: Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

Monday, April 16, 2012

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs


One of my favorite healthy replacements is spaghetti squash.  I enjoy eating it a variety of ways, but one of my favorite ways, as the name suggests, is eating it as spaghetti.  I'll typically make regular spaghetti noodles for Mike, and a spaghetti squash for myself.  When compared nutritionally to pasta, spaghetti squash is the clear choice.  1 cup of spaghetti squash has just 42 calories and a variety of vitamins and minerals. (SourceIn comparison, spaghetti noodles contain 174 calories in a cup.  (SourceSpaghetti squash is the clear choice if you are counting calories.  Even if you're not, I challenge you to give spaghetti squash a chance.  I think you'll enjoy it!

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

Serves 2

You will need:
1 spaghetti squash
1 Tablespoon butter
salt
1 cup spaghetti sauce
12 turkey meatballs, cooked
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

1. Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard.

2. Place both halves of the squash on a cookie sheet. Put 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in the center of each piece of squash.

3. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until squash is softened.

4. Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to form spaghetti-like strands. 
 
5.  Pour 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce onto each half of the squash.
 
6.  Top with meatballs and mozzarella. 
 
7.  Return to the oven for 3-5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
 
Serve hot in the squash shells.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard how good these are but haven't tried it. I really need too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti squash plain with butter and garlic salt!! One of my favs!! :) I could just eat that for dinner.. lol But this looks good too so I think I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful. I cannot not wait to try this out! Come visit us. We have some terrific things to share this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites! I can't wait to try this recipe, it looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Show & Tell link party. I'm delighted to have you. Thanks for bringing this recipe with you. For someone who is gluten free like me, spaghetti squash sounds like a good alternative. I'm curious to know what it tastes like. Again, thanks for sharing.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just planted some seeds! Can't wait to try this recipe later this summer!! Thanks for sharing on 2 Maids a Baking!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips