Melissa's Cuisine: Churro Popcorn

Friday, April 27, 2012

Churro Popcorn

When I was in youth group, every fall we would go on a work trip to Chicago.  While the projects we did varied from year to year, one thing stayed the same: a visit to the Hispanic foods store.  It was the part of the trip that a lot of us looked forward to the most...well, that plus a trip to Lou Malnati's!  Both were our rewards for some long days of hard work!  A trip to the store just wasn't complete without a fresh churro, or two, or three...

One of my favorite snacks is popcorn, so when I saw this churro popcorn, it called my name!  And then it said, "make me...now".  Luckily for me, I actually had cinnamon chips in the house, so I was able to quickly whip up a batch.  While the popcorn is obviously a different texture than an authentic churro, the flavor is definitely there.  This was great snack, and was perfect for our movie night!
Churro Popcorn

Serves 6

6 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup cinnamon chips, melted
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1.  In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, sugar, and cinnamon.

2.  In a large bowl, drizzle the melted cinnamon chips over the popcorn. Toss to coat.

3.  Immediately sprinkle sugar mixture over popcorn.  Toss again to coat.

Let the popcorn cool completely before serving.  Store in an airtight container.

Source: Family Kitchen

10 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I followed you over from Chic & Crafty link party and I have to tell you that as soon as I saw the words Churro and popcorn together I was sold. Who doesn't love churros and I have this love affair with popcorn. YUM

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Party runs through Monday each week).

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I need this popcorn! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I'm with Dorothy, LOVE IT!

    I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great day.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a cool idea. I've never heard of cinnamon chips before though. Or maybe I have and my mind is blanking at the moment. Anyway. these ultra tasty. Pinning and following through gfc. Love from Whimsically Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting and delicious!

    Hopping by and following your twitter, FB and Pinterest.

    The Quiet Mom @ http://olahmomma.com/blog/creamy-cheesy-scrambled-eggs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    Just wanted to let you know you're being featured on Creative Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popcorn is my favorite and I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up this great recipe @CountryMommaCooks link and great party. Hope to see you again tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Cups by Kim, just wanted to let you know this is going to be one of my features tomorrow at Sweet & Simple Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the last sentence: "Store in an airtight container." You actually have ANY left over to store??!! ::GRIN::

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips