Melissa's Cuisine: Marinated Flank Steak

Monday, April 02, 2012

Marinated Flank Steak

Both Mike and I grew up disliking steak.  It wasn't until our "adult" years, that we both realized how much we enjoy a well prepared steak.  It turns out it wasn't steak that we disliked--it was over cooked, tough, hunks of dry meat that we disliked. (Sorry to our moms--we know you were busy during dinner time!)

When I saw this recipe in a magazine, I knew I had to add it to our menu.  The marinade gives the steak a delicous taste and makes the meat nice and tender.  I would have prefered my steak to be slightly more well-done, but since this was my first time making a steak that is supposed to be served pink, I think it turned out well!
Marinated Flank Steak

Serves 6

You will need:
2 Tablespoons canola oil
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons honey dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons ketchup
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1-3/4 pounds flank steak
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.  Whisk canola oil, vinegar, mustard, ketchup, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.

2.  Combine with steak in a large Ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

3.  Remove steak from marinade and season with salt and pepper.

4.  Broil or grill steak for 3 minutes on each side, or until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees.

5.  Let the steak stand for 5 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.

Source:  Family Circle

6 comments:

  1. I'd always felt the same way about steak too. Until my husband taught me that it wasn't that I disliked it; I disliked the way it was cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had exactly the same experience too. I always thought I didn't like steak or beef but now I love it. I think starting to love cooking also helped as I wanted to be able to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on way overcooked steaks, too. My husband turned me on to medium rare steaks and my life changed! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I know my family would love it. Come visit us. We have a terrific lamb recipe just in time for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this tomorrow because it looks divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these flavors sound delish! I would love for you to come and link up on my linky!
    http://successful2gether.blogspot.com/2012/04/successful-saturday-link-up-week-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips