Melissa's Cuisine: Giant Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Giant Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins

There are very few foods that Mike and I don't agree upon.  One minor one is fish--I don't care for it, but he doesn't mind it.  The biggest issue is fruit.  I could eat fruit every meal for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy.  Mike eats his banana every day and would be pleased to continue that way for the rest of his life, with the possible exception of strawberries.

I was thrilled to get to go blueberry picking last year.  Even though Mike doesn't eat them, he still encouraged me to go picking (by myself, of course!) and freeze an incredible amount of blueberries!  I use them year-round for smoothies, in pancakes, and in muffins.  When Tina announced that this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge was to find the recipe for the ultimate blueberry muffin, I jumped on this opportunity to scour the web for the best recipe.  And friends, I do believe I have found it! 
Photobucket
My search led me to Christy's site, The Girl Who Ate Everything.  If the story she told in her blog post didn't draw me in, the pictures of her muffins certainly did!  Her story had me giggling, and her pictures had me drooling.  I knew I found an amazing recipe.  I borrowed a giant muffin tin from Mike's mom so I could make specialty-shop sized muffins.  Let me tell you--they did not disappoint!

Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins

Makes 12 muffins (or 4 giant muffins)

You will need:
2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Streusel topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1.  Prepare streusel topping by combining the sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl with a fork (or your hands).  Mix until the texture resembles wet sand.

2.  Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.  Set aside.

3.  In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until fluffy.
 
4.  Add in the eggs, vanilla, and milk and stir until combined.

5.  Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

6.  Gently fold blueberries into the batter. (I toss my blueberries with a small amount of flour first to keep them from sinking in the batter.)

7.  Scoop into greased (or paper lined) muffin tins.  Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.

8.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

Source:  The Girl Who Ate Everything

25 comments:

  1. Giant.... and topped with streusel? Yummo! I hope you'll stop by and visit my CCC post. Take care!

    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the polka dot pictures, so adorable. I forget to use my large muffin tin mainly b/c it only makes 6!! Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look super super yummy! I love streusel topped muffins - as does my husband. And I am really bad for eating 3 or 4 muffins if they are good, so this may be the right recipe for me :P

    Stopping by from CCC #28
    {I stumbled, pinned, tweeted, and FB shared your recipe!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) These would be perfect for you because they're so filling!

      Delete
  4. These look amazing and I love the streusel topping!!! And anything in giant makes my heart happy!

    #65

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh do these look good! I made cinnamon streusal muffins for between services tomorrow - I think you should share these! Of course - they would be gone when the first few people came through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the look of the topping on your muffins. I like that you go blueberry picking, I also am able to do that. They are wild in my yard, and tons of them. Small but ever so good...........nice post andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want a giant muffin tin~it looks so great that big! Love the streusel topping too!!
    #49

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some goood looking muffins!! Love anything with streusel!!
    Come see me, #44

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Mike, I only eat fruit in small doses but I do love blueberry muffins. The streusel on top of these has me wanting a muffin right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will go blueberry picking with you this year!! I LOVE blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The streusal topping on these looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this and immediately loved it! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't get enough of blueberries!

    Gay, CCC #24

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm, I love streusel topped muffins...they really are the best! #9

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so yummy! You're being featured. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pictures are awesome! These look great too! Our muffins are similar, I made jumbo muffins and a crumb topping too. Thanks for sharing at the Rock N Share. CCC#94

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is nice to find a site about my interest. My first visit to your site is been a big help. Thank you for the efforts you been putting on making your site such an interesting and informative place to browse through. I'll be visiting your site again to gather some more valuable information. You truly did a good job.
    Chill out bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  18. Muffins are great. Made them for breakfast on last day of school. They were a hit! Thanks for the recipe.

    Riyanna
    Fairfax Carpet Patching

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips