Melissa's Cuisine: Bran Muffins

Monday, April 01, 2013

Bran Muffins


As I was thinking about what to write today, I was trying to come up with a great way to trick you.  Tell you we're really having twins...or a post about some really disgusting food...or a great story that really leaves you hanging, just to tell you it was totally fake!

I couldn't think of anything worthy of writing, but I did remember some of the tricks we've played in the past.  It was always fun to play tricks on my dad when he got home from work.  Sometimes, we'd have a plate of Oreo cookies waiting for him on the counter.  Except, they weren't really Oreos, because we had replaced the cream filling with toothpaste.

Or what about the time that we told him Mr. Lyon had called for him and needed a return call.  He called the phone number we left for him, only to get a worker at the local zoo!  He thought he had the wrong number, so he hung up before asking if Mr. Lyon was available.

Of course, one of the oldest tricks in the book was when we'd put a black rubber band around the sprayer on the kitchen sink.  I think everyone in my family has been victim to that prank!

These muffins have absolutely nothing to do with April Fool's Day.  Except maybe that they are so delicious that you would never guess they're actually healthier for you.  This is a recipe from Mike's mom.  I made a batch for my friend who recently had a baby.  I thought it would be a good option for her to have something healthy to reach for during the midnight feedings.  As I was mixing up the first batch for her, I realized that I was totally out of eggs.  I used a flax egg (1/4 cup water plus 1 teaspoon ground flax) instead and the muffins turned out great!  When I went to visit my friend the other day, she requested another batch of muffins, so the second time I used real eggs.  The muffins with real eggs rose a little more, but I couldn't tell any difference in the taste.

Bran Muffins



Makes 28 muffins

Ingredients:
3 cups bran flake cereal

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup boiling water

2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs: 1/2 cup water and 2 teaspoons ground flax)

2-1/2 cup flour

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup raisins (optional)



1.  Mix together bran flakes, shortening, and water.

2.  Add sugar and egg and stir until mixed.


3.  Add flour, soda, salt, buttermilk, and raisins and stir until the flour is just incorporated.
 

4.  Pour into greased muffin tins.

5.  Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. These look good!I'll have to give them a try- thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you from Marvelous Mondays link party. I would love if you would share at my Tried and True Recipe party: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/04/tried-and-true-recipes-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it at the table with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips