Melissa's Cuisine: Apple Cinnamon Dumplings

Friday, April 05, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Dumplings

I have a problem.  I just can't leave recipes alone!  I hate to follow a recipe exactly, and I prefer to tweak the original or just look at a picture and try to re-create the recipe. 

That was certainly the case with these dumplings.  I've made them countless times since I first posted them here (back in 2008!).  I made a peach version which turned out fantastic.  Then, I tried to make a lower fat version using less butter and sugar. That time didn't turn out so well.  In fact, I believe that was when Mike told me to stop messing with recipes and just make them the way they're supposed to be made. 

Like I said, I like to change up recipes, so that is one area where I have a hard time listening to my husband!  I didn't change these up much, but the change I made was fantastic.  I used larger pieces of apples and added in cinnamon chips, which melted and gave the apples and dumplings great flavor. 

One thing I would suggest is to use a soft apple (like Macintosh) instead of a harder variety (like Gala).  If you only have hard apples, your dumplings will just have a slight crunch to them.  You could certainly microwave the apple for a minute or two to give it a head start on baking before putting it in the biscuit. 
Apple Cinnamon Dumplings

Serves 8

Ingredients:
1 can Pillsbury Grands (8 biscuits)
4 small apples, peeled, halved, and cored (use a small knife or spoon to scoop the core out)
1/4 cup cinnamon chips
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (12 ounce) can Mountain Dew
cinnamon

1.  Flatten biscuits into an oval shape, about 5x7 inches or as close as possible.

2.  Sprinkle a few cinnamon chips in the center of the biscuit and place the apple, cut side down on top of the chips.

3.  Fold the biscuits around the apples, pinching the edges to seal the dumpling shut.

4.  Place biscuits in a 9x13" pan.

5.  In a small saucepan, melt the butter.  Add the sugar and vanilla and stir until the sugar dissolves.

6.  Pour the sugar mixture over the dumplings, being sure to coat each one thoroughly.

7.  Pour the Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan and down the center.  (If it appears that your pan might overflow with liquid, stop adding the Mountain Dew.  You don't need to use the whole can.)

8.  Sprinkle the tops of the dumplings with cinnamon.

9.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve warm.  Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge.

12 comments:

  1. So these pretty much look and sound amazing! :) Just shared them on my Facebook page & pinned them. Love how easy they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I'd eat too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I may have to give them a try on one of my cheat days.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I haven't tried baking anything with Mt. Dew, but I am excited to try this. Thanks for sharing:)
    Shannon@CozyCountryLiving

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound amazing and definitely something for the awfully rainy day we're having here in Ireland today

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am like you, like to change things up a bit, I am going to use apple pie filling though, I have a very demanding job with not much time for the kitchen stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa,
    We will just love these awesome Apple Dumplings! Thank you very much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of Grands? Buttermilk, southern style???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Buttermilk this time, but I often use flaky layers. Southern style would be great too!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Cinnamon chips are like chocolate chips, but made with cinnamon. The ones I used were Hershey's and you can buy them by the chocolate chips in the grocery store.

      Delete
  10. This is a quick way to make apple dumplings. I love the great ideas people have to make things quicker to make. Thank you for sharing.

    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-bacon-corn-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips