Melissa's Cuisine: 45 Minute Dinner Rolls

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

45 Minute Dinner Rolls

Homemade dinner rolls on a weeknight?  Who has time for that?  I'm here to tell you that you do!  Believe it or not, these fantastic rolls are ready to eat just 45 minutes after you begin making them!  Who doesn't love fresh made rolls with dinner?

I actually made these rolls not once, but twice last week.  The first time, I undercooked the rolls and although they tasted good, they were quite dense.  I blame my oven--it doesn't work correctly half the time, and I wanted to eat the rolls with dinner, not after all the other food was gone!  The second time I made the rolls I allowed for extra baking time, and they turned out perfectly!

The secret to these rolls is the large amount of yeast the recipe calls for.  Lots of yeast=shorter rise time.  Most of the 45 minute time frame for these rolls is spent proofing the yeast, letting the dough rise, and baking the rolls.  That means that you can focus on making the other aspects of your meal while the rolls are doing their thing.  Once you make these rolls, you'll want them every night!
45 Minute Dinner Rolls
 
Makes 12 rolls
 
Ingredients:
 
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
1.  Pour the warm water and olive oil into the bowl of your stand mixer, and sprinkle the yeast and sugar on top.  Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.  The mixture will be very frothy when the time is up.
 
2.  Using the dough hook attachment, mix the egg, flour, and salt into the yeast mixture.  Begin on low speed and gradually increase the mixer speed once the flour is incorporated.  When the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball, you can stop mixing.
 
3.  Divide the dough into 12 equal balls and place in a greased 9x13" pan.  Allow the dough to rise for 10 minutes (I like to set the pan on top of my oven while it pre-heats so the dough gets some extra help to rise.)
 
4.  Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven), until the tops begin to turn golden brown.
 
5.  Remove from the oven and brush the tops of the buns with butter, if desired.  Serve warm.
 
Source: Crazy for Crust and Your Homebased Mom

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm definitely trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the short time it takes to make these! Pinned:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    These are beautiful Rolls, I will be trying these. Your recipe is fabulous and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much better than homemade bread and rolls. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linked to the same party as you- Marvelous Mondays. The 45 minutes caught my eye. I'm a chicken when it comes to working with yeast/rising so we'll see how these turn out! Pinned!http://www.365ishpins.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You blog is adorable! Newest follower here via the blog hop and I was kinda hopin' that you'd pop on by my neck o' the woods and like me back (if you like what you read!)

    Have a great weekend!
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post man! I always follow your blog because it is full of compelling information about various things. I like to read this post  because I met so many new facts about it actually. It's really great that I noticed this post.
    bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look good and easy! I am going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips