Melissa's Cuisine: It's a.... (Gender Reveal Cupcakes)

Monday, March 11, 2013

It's a.... (Gender Reveal Cupcakes)


...Baby girl!

After 20 weeks of waiting and excited anticipation, Mike and I had our ultrasound on Thursday and found out that in July we will be having a baby girl!  We are so excited to welcome our daughter into the world.  Part of me hopes the next 20 (or fewer) weeks fly by, but I love being pregnant so I'm also hoping it goes slow so I can enjoy every minute.
We wanted a creative way to tell our parents the gender of our baby.  After surprising them with the big news on Thanksgiving day and our fun announcements in January, we knew we couldn't just tell them "it's a girl".  I'd seen the idea of gender reveal cupcakes many times and so we decided that was the route we would take.  I had some leftover pink frosting from my Strawberries and Cream Cake, so that was really handy to have to fill these cupcakes.
 
Gender Reveal Cupcakes
 
Ingredients:
24 cupcakes (I used a white cake mix and the ingredients on the box)
1 jar of frosting
pink (strawberry) or blue (blue raspberry) Jello
sprinkles
 
1. Scoop about 1/3 of the frosting out of the container and into a small bowl.  Add 2 Tablespoons of the Jello mix and stir until the color is evenly distributed.
 
2.  Scoop the colored frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip (the bigger the hole in the tip, the easier to fill the cupcake). 
 
3.  Insert the tip into the top center of the cupcake and squeeze the frosting into the cupcake.  Repeat with each cupcake and the pink frosting.
 
4.  Scoop the white frosting into a pastry bag and decorate the top of the cupcakes as desired. 
 
5.  Top with sprinkles or other garnishes, if desired.
 
Enjoy sharing your happy news with friends and family!


16 comments:

  1. What a cute way to tell them! Now you need to blog on their response. I know your Mom thought girl, your Dad thought boy. What were Mikes parents thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike's mom thought it was a girl, so his dad decided to go the opposite :)

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty! So you didn't core out the centers first, you just filled them with frosting? Congrats on your baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, I just filled them with frosting!

      Delete
  3. This is the cutest idea ever! I'm going to have to remember this one. Thanks so much for sharing. They look delicious! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! I love your cupcake idea!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A baby girl how sweet, congratulations. And the cupcakes are so pretty and girly! andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome. I love the idea of cupcakes rather than a cake.

    Kristen
    www.chickyscafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!!!!!! Yay! Girls are super fun. And pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fun! Im hosting a baby revealing party and I have been wanting to make these! Love your blog. I hope you visit and link your ideas every week- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/03/link-party-every-tuesday.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cute! What a great idea! And of course...congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your Baby Girl Melissa, that is awesome news! What a special way to make this precious announcement. Have a great St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations - what a fab idea, would love for you to link this up at the Baby Shower a linky party for all things pregnancy and new baby, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-friday-baby-shower-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Featuring YOU today! Thank you so much for linking up to {wow me} wednesday!

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2013/03/20-roll-muffin-pastry-recipes-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new RED PLATE.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soo funny I ran into your site accidentally!! I am totally using your idea. I didn't know how to get the color inside the cupcake so guests wouldn't be able to see it. Thank you thank! I find out Aug 20 :):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips