Melissa's Cuisine: French Toast

Monday, March 04, 2013

French Toast

Breakfast.  It's said to be the most important meal of the day.  It's certainly my favorite meal of the day.  One of the best parts about breakfast is that you can eat it any time of the day.  Breakfast for lunch?  Let's call it brunch.  Breakfast for dinner? How about some brinner?  Plus, the possibilities really are endless.  Breakfast foods are abundant: oatmeal, cereal, toast, english muffins, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, waffles, donuts, eggs, fruit and yogurt, muffins, french toast...

French toast.  Let's pause on that one.  It certainly ranks quite high on my list of favorite breakfasts.  It's right up there with pancakes and waffles.  Growing up, my mom always made sure that we had a substantial breakfast before heading off to school.  We had a routine and if I remember correctly, Tuesdays were French Toast day.  I always looked forward to Tuesday breakfasts.  And Saturday breakfasts because my parents went all out and we'd typically have pancakes or waffles with bacon

French toast is one of the easiest breakfasts to make.  Plus, it has a variety of your basic food groups and nutrients: grains, protein, calcium, fruit (if you choose), and sugar.  It can't get much better than starting your day off with sugar!
French Toast

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1 loaf of French bread
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
powdered sugar
fruit
syrup

1.  Slice the French bread into 1 inch thick slices.

2.  In a shallow bowl, whisk together then eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.

3.  Working one slice at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture, flipping as needed to coat both sides.

4.  Place bread on a 350 degree griddle.  Cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side, until the bread is golden brown.

5.  Repeat process with remaining bread and egg mixture.  (You may end up with a couple extra slices of bread.)

Serve French toast with powdered sugar and fresh fruit, or syrup.  Leftovers freeze well, just place in a freezer bag and reheat in your toaster.

1 comment:

  1. OK...I am making this for our breakfast this very morning. I have bananas and blackberries which sounds like a team to me.
    Thanks so much...when I show mine to Blogland, I'll be sure to list you as my inspiration. :)
    Over from Miz Helen's...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips