Melissa's Cuisine: Blueberry Scones

Friday, March 15, 2013

Blueberry Scones

I love Fridays!  I'm blessed to have the day off of work, so Fridays are the beginning of my weekend.  I love being able to get my errands and baking done on Fridays so I can spend the rest of the weekend relaxing with Mike.

But, truth be told, my absolute favorite thing about Fridays is that I can enjoy a nice relaxing morning.  To me, that translates into a delicious breakfast.  Most mornings I don't have time to fix a really good breakfast, and on Fridays I have time for that!  Often I'll make a big batch of pancakes that I'll keep in the freezer and pull out each day during the week.

Last week, I decided that blueberry scones sounded good.  Thankfully, it was a Friday, so I was able to whip up a quick batch.  By time I finished getting myself ready for the day, the scones were ready to come out of the oven.  I was thrilled with how this recipe turned out.  I grew up eating scones, but my mom's recipe is quite dry (don't worry, she knows!).  These scones are incredibly moist and flaky.  This will certainly be my go-to recipe from now on!

Blueberry Scones

Makes 8

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 Tablespoons butter
1-1/4 cup heavy cream
1-1/3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tablespoons milk

1.  In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.

2.  Cut the butter into the dry mixture until crumbly.

3.  Stir the heavy cream into the crumb mixture until just moistened.

4.  Gently knead in the blueberries.

5.  On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 9-inch circle.

6.  Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

7.  Brush the tops of the scones with the milk.

8.  Bake at 400 for 20-23 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve warm.

Adapted from: The Taste of Home Cookbook

Come join #DairyBreakfastClub recipe party at TidyMom along with The California Milk Advisory Board and RealCaliforniaMilk.com

10 comments:

  1. Yum! Heather makes some wonderful blueberry, lemon scones. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones and grew up eating them as well! My mom always joked we would one day open 31 flavors of scones! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum and I have blueberries in the freezer too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore anything blueberry and these scones looks fantastic! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blueberries are one of my favourites, but I have never tried putting them into scones. Will absolutely have to try this (pinning!).

    Stopping by from Marvellous Mondays.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful!! I am pinning to try!!

    Stopping by from Manic Mondays!

    Frances
    @ www.notionsfromnonny.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm! I love scones and these look amazing! I pinned them for later! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum we love scones! We just made some at our house too! Your's look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a scone lover but have never tried to make myself... will definitely be giving this a try. Over here from Marvelous Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melissa,
    Sure wish I had one of your Blueberry Scones to go with my morning coffee. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips