Melissa's Cuisine: One Bag Event

Friday, September 30, 2011

One Bag Event

We did it!  We hosted a fiesta for our couples' group from church and generated less than half a bag of trash!



As I prepared for the party, I kept in mind that the goal was to create a minimal amount of trash.  With that in mind, I planned a menu with fresh items that could be composted and other items bought in bulk.  Here's what we ate:
Tacos with fresh toppings, stuffed jalapenos, tortilla chips and salsa, churros, and un-fried fried ice-cream (not pictured)!
And you can't go Mexican without imported Mexican beer (in recyclable bottles) and Margaritas (in reusable glasses)!  We also used real dishes and silverware.

Side note:  I do apologize for the quality of the pictures, I was in a hurry as our guests were arriving!  I didn't think to take pictures of us enjoying the food either, I was too busy eating!

I was able to compost the seeds and some stems from the jalapeno peppers, the stems from the tomatoes, and the unedible parts of the lettuce.  I recycled the box from the ice-cream and bag from the flour.  The only things I had to throw away were the styrofoam containers from the ground beef and a few other small items. 

Of course you can't have a fiesta without a pinata! Don't worry, the pinata was made out of cardboard so I was able to recycle it as well!



I would say our party was a huge success! 

We've learned a lot from this past month's adventure.  How have you put what you've learned the past few weeks into practice with your family?

As part of the Glad Brand Ambassador Program through Foodbuzz, I received Glad products, a trash can/recycling bin, a composting bin, and a stipend to cover my expenses. Even though I was compensated for these posts, the opinions contained in the post are all my own.

1 comment:

  1. That is so fantastic! I'm always trying to reduce our waste and not always very successful. You did a fab job!

    I'm a new follower from the Something Swanky Blog Hop. Would love it if you'd check out my site too!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips