Melissa's Cuisine: Peach Buckle

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Peach Buckle

I think some of the neatest things that can be passed on from generation to generation are recipes.  When Mike's grandpa passed away a couple years ago, we helped to clean out his condo.  His parents allowed us to take some things that we wanted.  Mike chose a few items that had sentimental meaning to him, and I chose some cookbooks.  I was recently looking for a recipe using peaches and I decided to look in a cookbook from his grandpa.

This cookbook was printed in 1963 and belongs to Mike's grandmother.  As I flipped through the pages, several handwritten recipe cards fell out.  I tucked them away to make someday, knowing they were special recipes.

The pages of the cookbook are yellowed and worn.  Some pages have food stains and tears on them--a sign of a well used cookbook!  I can just picture Mike's grandma flipping through the pages as she decided what to make for her husband after a day of working on the farm.  What about you?  Do you have any cookbooks or recipes that have been passed down through your family?


Peach Buckle

Serves 9

6 peaches, peeled and diced
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup margarine
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1.  Sprinkle peaches with 1/4 cup sugar (use more or less depending on how sweet your peaches are).  Let them sit for about an hour until a sugary syrup forms.  Drain and reserve syrup.

2.  Cream together margarine and 1/2 cup sugar.

3.  Mix in eggs.

4.  Stir in baking powder, salt, and 1 cup flour.  Mix until just combined.

5.  Spread batter in a greased 9x9 pan.

6.  Top batter with peaches.

7.  Combine 2 Tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and reserved syrup.  Pour over peaches.

8.  Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.

9.  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.


PermanetPosies.com Nap-Time CreationsWCWjpg PhotobucketCast Party WednesdayPhotobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love older cookbooks. I have several and use then when I really want a good treat. Peach Buckle looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old cookbooks too. Your story was so sweet. It got my attention. This recipe looks really good. Good old fashioned goodness. You have a sweet blog!
    Michael Ann
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips