Melissa's Cuisine: Chicken Parmesan

Monday, September 12, 2011

Chicken Parmesan

I remember the first time I had chicken parmesan; I was at a restaurant and ordered it, thinking it was something completely different.  So when my meal came, I was expecting something completely different that what was placed in front of me.  It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I had a delicious meal!  I loved the crispy coating of the chicken and the tangy tomato sauce.  When I saw this recipe in my new cookbook, I knew I would be making it.  I'm glad I did, it was just as good (okay--maybe better!) than the restaurant version!
Chicken Parmesan

Serves 3

1-1/2 cups panko
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 egg whites
1 Tablespoon water
6 boneless skinless chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
salt and pepper
2 cups tomato sauce, warmed
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped

1.  Combine panko and oil in a small skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring often, until golden (about 10-12 minutes).

2.  Transfer crumbs to a shallow dish and let cool.  Stir in Parmesan. 

3.  In a second shallow dish, combine flour and garlic powder.

4.  In a third shallow dish, whisk the egg whites and water together.

5.  Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

6.  Working with one piece of chicken at a time, first dredge in flour and shake to remove any excess flour.

7.  Coat the floured chicken with egg white and let the excess drip back into the dish.  I used tongs so my hands wouldn't get sticky.

8.  Finally, coat the chicken with the toasted bread crumbs, pressing firmly on the bread crumbs to make sure they stick to the chicken.

9.  Lay the chicken on a baking sheet and repeat coating steps until all the chicken is prepared.

10.  Bake at 475 degrees 10-12 minutes, until chicken registers 150-160 degrees on a meat thermometer.

11.  Top each piece of chicken with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella.  Return to oven and continue to bake until cheese has melted and the chicken reaches 160-165 degrees (about 3-5 more minutes).

12.  Sprinkle with the basil and serve.

Per serving (1 chicken breast): 330 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated), 80mg cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrates, 38g protein, 2g fiber, 750mg sodium

Source: The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook

Mouthwatering Mondays

3 comments:

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips