Melissa's Cuisine: Beer and Bacon Mac and Cheese

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Beer and Bacon Mac and Cheese

I recently got an email from Tina, from Mom's Crazy Cooking, inviting me to join her in a new cooking challenge.  Each month a group of bloggers will scour Blog Land for a specific food item and then blog about it on the same day.  We get to expand our recipe collection, feature a blogger, and possibly find our new favorite blog and have fun doing it!  September's challenge sent us in search of the Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese. 

Photobucket

More often than not, when I ask Mike what he wants for dinner, he'll reply "Mac and Cheese".  Simple enough, but I tire quickly of that lovely blue boxed meal he seems to love so much.

I knew exactly which recipe I was going to make!  Jessica, the beautiful genius behind How Sweet It Is, featured a mouthwatering recipe for Beer Mac and Cheese in August.  When I saw it, I bookmarked it, knowing I'd have to make it soon.  So it worked perfectly that this month's challenge was to feature a Macaroni and Cheese recipe.  While Jessica's original recipe didn't include bacon, she did suggest that the only thing that would make this recipe better was bacon.  That was the only hint I needed to add bacon!  The beer flavor really shined through this recipe (great for beer lovers), so this recipe got 2 thumbs up from Mike and our brother-in-law!


Beer and Bacon Mac and Cheese

Serves 4-6

You will need:
2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow noodles
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
8 ounces milk
8 ounces beer
8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
pinch of black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
10 large basil leaves, chopped for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Prepare water for pasta and boil according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off of cooking time since pasta will continue to cook in the oven.

Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and add butter. Once melted and sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until bubbly and golden in color, about 2 minutes.

Add milk and beer into saucepan whisking constantly, then add cheeses and stir until melted. Turn heat down to medium and continue to stir, cooking for 5-6 minutes while mixture thickens. It will most likely NOT thicken like regular mac and cheese because of the beer, but you want it to thicken a little bit.

Stir in pepper, paprika and nutmeg.

Add noodles (once cooked and drained) to a casserole dish, then pour cheese over top and add in bacon, mixing gently to combine. Top with panko bread crumbs and an additional sprinkle of cheese if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then top with fresh basil.

Source: How Sweet It Is



WCWjpg PhotobucketCast Party Wednesday It's a KeeperParty Button

14 comments:

  1. Hi I found your blog on the crazy cooking challenge. You have a great blog looks so yummy :) Check out my food blog

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made this one! I went with the Macaroni 'n Cheese Muffins instead but I am loving the addition of the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have added the bacon too. Bacon and beer, a great combo.

    My Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Velvety Mac & Cheese.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I'm really enjoying all of the amazing mac n cheese recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha awesome! I made the same recipe for the challange!! great minds think alike lol!

    Stopping by from the MACARONI & CHEESE Linky Party through Moms Crazy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your mac and cheese! You might want to stop by my blog...I think you'll feel right at home ;) {You're in for a surprise!}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta try Beer & Bacon, I would have never dreamed of that!

    Thanks for joining us for the first month of CCC, stop by and check out my Mac & Cheese Bites!
    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/macaroni-and-cheese-bites-crazy-cooking.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok too funny...I actually pinned this recipe too a couple weeks ago!! It sounds amazing!! Can't wait to try it!

    Come check out my CCC post: http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2011/09/crazy-cooking-challenge-1-ultimate.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica's blog IS amazing, I agree! And so is this recipe. I love that it uses beer, and of course adding bacon had me hooked!

    Check out my mac and cheese post if you like ;)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/09/crazy-cooking-challenge-and-buffalo.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of beer macaroni and cheese on a plate with a glass of beer on the side as well. Maybe you could name this 'Beer Lovers Macaroni and Cheese'. :○

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for linking up on Whisking Wednesdays this week. I hope you'll come back again this week and link up another recipe or two!

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/09/whisking-wednesdays-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the other beer mac recipes! Will definitely try yours, too, looks very good. :)

    ___
    International Calls to Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips