Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread

Monday, September 26, 2011

Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread

There's nothing better than a thick slice of fresh bread, still warm from the oven.  Pair it with a cup of hot chocolate or tea, and you have the makings of a delicious snack!

It's time again to reveal our posts for September's Secret Recipe Club.  This month, I was assigned to Wendy's blog, The Weekend Gourmet.  As I browsed through her collection of delicious looking recipes, I made a list of all the ones that looked good to me.  Then came the tough part--choosing one of those recipes to make and feature this month.  Since strawberries are one of my favorites fruits, I was drawn to her recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Quick Bread.

What a scrumptious loaf of bread!  I loved the added layer of strawberry cream cheese, that's really what put this loaf of bread over the top.  I chose not to make the Strawberry Whipped Butter as I prefer my bread without butter (this goes for all bread--I know, I'm strange!)  I'm sure the butter would make this bread delicious too.  I think this bread would be delicious with other berries as well--maybe I'll try blueberries next?
Strawberry Cream Cheese Quick Bread

Makes 1 loaf, about 12 servings

You will need:
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
6 ounces cream cheese
2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar

For the bread:
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped strawberries

1.  Make the cream cheese layer by mixing the cream cheese, strawberry jam, egg and sugar in a medium bowl.  Put the mixture in the fridge while you make the bread batter.

2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, eggs, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla.

3.  Add milk, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the wet mixture and mix well.

4.  Carefully fold in the chopped strawberries.

5.  Pour half the batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.

6.  Pour the cream cheese mixture down the center. (My mixture ended up quite runny and when I did this step, it looked like a mess. It still turned out great!)

7.  Top with remaining batter and smooth if necessary. 

8.  Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. 

9.  Remove bread from oven and let it cool in the pan for about 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to continue cooling.  Be patient--the bread will crumble apart if you cut into it too soon!

Source: The Weekend Gourmet




Mouthwatering MondaysPermanetPosies.comNap-Time Creations

24 comments:

  1. This sounds divine! I'd require butter with mine though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! However - that crazy Bob doesn't like strawberries and I sure don't need the whole thing. :)
    The links have some really good looking things to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, how good would this be toasted for breakfast? Perfect way to start the day! It looks so moist. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice for this months SRC Melissa, the bread looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this bread looks fantastic. It would be great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could totally nosh on a thick slice of this! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weekend Gourmet does have great site! I must have missed this bread so I am glad you picked it. It looks like a keeper! Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I love the cream cheese addition. Such pretty pics too :) Nice cooking with you in SRC!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. This would be great with any fruit. Thanks for the terrific recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great SRC choice, my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how pretty your loaf of this bread came out...and that you got to try it while there are still strawberries around! That ribbon of cream cheese really takes this bread over th top. Thanks for your kind words about my blog...just love meeting new friends via SRC!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good! If I wasn't trying to eat healthy I would make a loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Wendy's blogg too. Wow that bread sure would be good right now with a cup of coffee. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Melissa I really enjoyed cooking from your blog this round. I'm ready for another batch of fudge!
    This strawberry bread looks yummy. I do love a slice of quick bread!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - good choice! I love warm bread straight from the oven too! So nice to meet you through SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of cinnamon & strawberries in this bread..great choice!
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C - http://su.pr/2rtACr

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cream cheese and Strawberries... ooo mmmm that sounds so wonderful!


    Glad to be in Group C with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A strawberry quick bread sounds delicious. I don't think I could have resisted making strawberry butter! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't you just love Wendy's blog?? And you picked one of my favorite recipes!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohh wow this recipe looks fantastic!! Saving this one for sure, great choice for SRC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I saw the photo, I could have sworn there was some chocolate in there. I think it would be wonderful if you slipped some cocoa powder in the next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What could be better for fall but a delicious hot fruit bread. Strawberry might be my favorite. Thanks for sharing it at Tueday's Tasty Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yummy!! I could use a piece of that right now!! Thanks for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips