Melissa's Cuisine: Brownie Ice Cream

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brownie Ice Cream

Brownie Ice-Cream

Last time I made vanilla ice-cream, I served it with brownies. That got me thinking, why not add brownies into the ice-cream? I decided to give it a whirl and I was so pleased with how it turned out!

You will need:
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
4 large egg yolks
6 brownies (about 1/3 of a 9x13 pan) (You can add more or less, depending on your preference!)

1. In a medium saucepan, warm milk, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup of cream.

2. Using a sharp knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add them to the hot milk mixture, along with the vanilla pod.

3. Remove milk mixture from heat, cover, and let it steep for 30 minutes.

4. Re-warm the vanilla milk mixture.

5. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add 1/8 cup of the milk mixture to the eggs and whisk until combined.

6. Pour yolk mixture into milk mixture.

7. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.

8. Remove vanilla pod (rinse and wipe clean, you can re-use it!).

9. Stir remaining 1 cup of cream into custard to cool.

10. Chill thoroughly in fridge. (At least 3-5 hours, overnight is even better)

11. Churn ice-cream in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mine took about 30 minutes.

12. Cut brownies into small pieces, mine were less than 1/2 an inch.

13. After ice-cream has been churned, carefully stir in brownie pieces until well distributed.

14. Scoop ice-cream into freezer-safe container and freeze until ready to serve.

9 comments:

  1. If you keep posting these kinds of recipes, I'll have to get an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I wish I could un-see this! I do not need this in my head while on WW! LOL! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! I have never made ice cream though, I am a bit intimidated to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a mouth-watering combination!? Brownie and ice-cream! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as we get out of the winter freeze I am so making this. Yum!

    I'd love to have you share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there.

    http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/03/chocolate-toffee/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a luxurious bowl of ice cream. I love ice cream with other goodies mixed into it. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your ice cream up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! My kids will love this! Love your cookies too, especially the super bowl ones. I am having my first give away, come on by to enter.
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips