Melissa's Cuisine: Enchiladas

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Enchiladas

Enchiladas (1/10/11)

What do you do when your husband wants a certain meal, but you don't have all the ingredients?
Improvise and create, of course!!!

Mike said he wanted either enchiladas or tacos for dinner, but we didn't have the toppings for tacos, so enchiladas it was! Then of course I realized we didn't have enchilada sauce, but that wasn't going to stop me! I decided I would just make my own.

Then I realized I didn't have tomato sauce, or tomato paste for that matter. (My pantry is quite lacking in the area of canned goods!) But I did have tomato soup and I decided that was just going to have to do! I was very impressed with the results, the soup gives the sauce a sweeter tang, but you can spice it up by adding more chili powder if you want. I got Mike's stamp of approval, so I'm sure we'll be making this again!


You will need:

1 pound ground beef
4 flour tortillas
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons flour
1/8 cup chili powder
1 (10-3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1 cup cheddar cheese (I used taco seasoned cheese)

1. Brown ground beef and drain.

2. Mix together olive oil and flour in a medium saucepan to create a roux.

3. Add chili powder, soup, water, garlic powder, and salt to the roux and bring to a simmer.

4. Pour 1/2 the sauce into the ground beef and bring to a simmer.

5. Scoop 1/4 of the ground beef into each of the tortillas, fold and place in a greased baking dish.

6. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas.

7. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese.

8. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until enchiladas are heated through.

9. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top of enchiladas. We like to serve these with chips and cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I think that would be a hit over here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I will have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm. I love the cheesy Mexican goodness :) This one looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips