Melissa's Cuisine: Snowman Cookies

Monday, July 23, 2012

Snowman Cookies

Merry Christmas!!!!

Uh wait...it's only July...it must be Christmas in July!

I've always wanted to celebrate Christmas in July, but until now, I haven't before.  Unless you count listening to Christmas music in July.   I love Christmas music so much that I listen to it year-round.  If a Christmas song comes on my iPod, I rarely skip to the next song (unless someone is with me...most people think I'm weird for listening to Christmas music when it's not Christmas!)
Photobucket

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be hosting one of three food stops on this Christmas in July blog party.  You can view the other two food parties at ADD Housewife and Go Ahead...Take A Bite!

On to the recipe...

As a kid, I loved to make snowmen with my family.  We'd always eagerly wait for the snow to be deemed perfect packing snow and out we'd go.  We'd grab my dad's hat and scarf, a couple old brooms, a carrot, and a bunch of rocks.  Creating snowmen is one of my favorite winter memories!

What is cuter than a snowman? How about a snowman you can eat?  As I was thinking about what recipe to share, I wanted to come up with something fun that anyone can enjoy.  I think kids of all ages (even big kids like me *smile*) would enjoy making these fun and tasty snowmen cookies.  They're a fun treat for a snow day (anybody wishing for snow in the middle of this HOT July?) or a Christmas party. 

I hesitate to share detailed directions for this recipe, but I will anyway. Just keep in mind that the measurements won't be exact because it depends on how thickly you coat your cookies with the chocolate. If you don't want to coat an entire package of cookies, that's fine too!  If you want to make the smaller (1 piece) snowmen, use Nutter Butter cookies, for a 3 piece snowman, use Oreos.  Just have fun with it!

Snowman Cookies

You will need:
1 (16 ounce) package Candy-Quick white chocolate
1 package Nutter Butter cookies or Oreo cookies
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
food coloring

1.  Melt the white chocolate according to the package directions.

2.  Scoop 1 Tablespoon of melted chocolate into 3 separate small bowls.  Add food color to achieve desired colors.  I used red for the mouth, blue for the eyes, orange for the nose, and semi-sweet chocolate for the buttons.

3.  Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a small bowl and set aside.

4.  Dip cookies into the melted chocolate using a fork to remove it.  Gently wiggle the fork with the cookie on it to allow excess chocolate to drip off.

5.  Place dipped cookies on waxed paper to harden.

6.  Scoop the colored chocolates and semi-sweet chocolate into small sandwich bags with a hole snipped in the corner (or pastry bags) and decorate the dipped cookies as desired. 


Be sure to check back each day this week for the other party posts!

Tuesday:  Hand Crafted Items at Stone Gable and Living on Cyprus Hill
Wednesday:  Cookie Exchange at Laughter and Grace
Thursday:  Christmas Card Ideas at Scraptastic Memories and Mrs. Hines Class
Friday:  Your turn!  Share your favorite Christmas recipes, crafts, and decor ideas--you can link up on my blog!

Have you ever celebrated Christmas in July?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa! These little guys are adorable! I have to say that I'd go with the oreo cookies because I have a chocolate addiction. LOL Thanks for sharing them! I'm so glad we could share this portion of the party! Have a great week! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I'll have to remember to make these this winter with my granddaughter. She will love them! And any cookie with an oreo rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I absolutely love them. Nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I love chocolate covered Oreos! I've enjoyed hosting with you this week. Thanks for participating in my blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I'm going to save this recipe to make for my granddaughter when she's a little older. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, thanks for linking these cuties in to Food on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we'll be trying these out. The kids will think they're awesome!

    Marlene
    Info site for Alaska Bear Viewing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips