Melissa's Cuisine: Fiesta Dip

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fiesta Dip

Like most of the country, we are experiencing a long-lasting heat wave.  I don't know about you, but when it's 100 degree outside, I don't feel like doing much at all!  Rather than spend hours in the kitchen, I turn to dishes that are simple to put together, and don't require me to turn the oven on.  This dip definitely fits that bill.

My mom made this dip quite often when I was growing up.  It was a tradition for us to spend Friday nights as family night and Mom would often make this dip for us to enjoy while we were watching Family Matters and Full House.  Oh, the days of good family TV shows! 

Now Mike and I have started a tradition of our own.  We call it "sampler-platter nights".  Basically I look through the fridge and cupboards and pull out a smorgasbord of foods--anything goes, from sliced fruit and veggies, to pizza rolls, to cheese and crackers, to dips.  This dip has made it's appearance a few times because it's so easy to make and it's delicious. 

Fiesta Dip
Serves 8

You will need:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
2 cups salsa
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
tortilla chips

1.  In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup salsa. 

2.  Spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a microwave-safe glass dish.  (I used a pie plate.)

3.  Spread remaining salsa over the cream cheese mixture.

4.  Top salsa with shredded Mexican cheese.

5.  If desired, microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, until heated through and the shredded cheese is melted.  This dip can also be served without microwaving.

Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.

8 comments:

  1. I've made that dip and it's good! I like your sample platter night idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I really like the cream cheese in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so simple! It looks really good, too! I grew up watching those tv shows, as well...brings back some good memories!!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm know to take a block of cream cheese and poor salsa on top. This really looks like the perfect dip for me. Thanks for stopping by my link party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'e never tried cream cheese with salsa before. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I found this through It's a Keeper's linky party. I linked in a salad using leftover roast lamb. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this recipe and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want some of that dip... PLEASE!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips