Melissa's Cuisine: Individual Apple Crisps

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Individual Apple Crisps

Individual Apple Crisps (1/20/11)
We had lots of apples in the house the other day so I was trying to come up with a use for them. I had seen a recipe before for baked bananas with Heath bar crumbles and caramel, and that was actually part of the inspiration for this recipe. (The other inspiration? You guessed it--apple crisp!) The more I thought about it, the more clear the picture in my head became of what I wanted to make. This was such an easy recipe, I threw it together in about 10 minutes and the house smelled wonderful as the apples baked.

I think these were fabulous. I topped mine with warm caramel sauce, and Mike had a few scoops of vanilla bean ice-cream with his. You can bake these in a baking dish, or in individual ramekins like I did. I would recommend eating these the day they're made. I had one the next day and the "crisp" part became more like a bowl of oatmeal! (It still tasted good, just not the texture I was going for!)

You will need:
4 medium sized apples
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 Tablespoons margarine, melted
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon cinnamon sugar

1. Peel and core apples. If you don't have an apple corer (I don't), here's what I did: Use a sharp pearing knife to cut around where the core is. Then I used a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the apple.
2. Mix together oatmeal, margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
3. Spoon oatmeal mixture into the wells in your apples.
4. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon sugar.
5. Place apples in baking dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
6. Top with caramel sauce and/or ice-cream. Serve warm.

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh - these sounds so good, and most of the ingredients are things you have around. I have a bunch of apples in the house right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that looks amazing. I found your blog post from Sweet Tooth Friday and I'm glad I did! My husband loves any and all apple desserts...I'm gonna try these out on him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look SOOO good!

    Thanks for stopping by and linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I found this from Sweet as Sugar Cookie's blog. Definitely going to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i happened upon your blog from the linky on sweet as sugar cookies! looks delicious- i would love to try this

    ps your pics are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look amazing! yum, apple! glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips