Melissa's Cuisine: Shepherd's Pie

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

Melissa's Cuisine: Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's Pie is Mike's favorite hot dinner.  It's a meal that he grew up eating, and his mom often made it for him and his dad.  In nearly 3 years of marriage, I'd never made him Shepherd's Pie.  Oops!

We were talking with a friend a couple weeks ago and both he and Mike got on the subject of Shepherd's Pie and how much they loved it.  I decided that it was high time I learn how to make Mike's favorite dinner!  I didn't have a recipe to go off of, so I just put the basic ingredients together that I knew were involved.  It all worked out, because Mike loved the Shepherd's Pie.

This recipe made a large dish full of the casserole.  It was enough for our dinner, plus 3 or 4 lunches for Mike to take to work.  This meal would also freeze well if you have too many leftovers!  I put the casserole together the night before we planned to have it for dinner and stored it overnight in the fridge.  The next day I had Mike put it in the oven and dinner was almost ready when I got home from work.

Shepherd's Pie

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef, browned (drain the grease)
1 12 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables (I used Bird's Eye)
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
5 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt

1.  In a 9x13" casserole dish, combine the cooked ground beef, mixed vegetables, and Cream of Mushroom soup.

2.  Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and vegetable mixture.

3.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, until heated through.

4.  Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes and return to the oven for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

Serve hot, with salt to season as needed.

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-linky-party-21/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks delicous. I've never made Shepherd's Pie, but I bet my family would love it. What's not to love, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips