Melissa's Cuisine: Scotcheroos

Friday, June 21, 2013

Scotcheroos

Melissa's Cuisine: Scotcheroos
Sometimes simple really is better.  As much as I love to mess with recipes and make them unique, there's something special about a simple recipe.

Earlier this month, one of my good friends graduated from high school.  Yes, she might be 6 years younger than me, but we've never really noticed the age difference.  She asked me if I would help her prepare some of the snacks for her graduation open house.  We spent an evening making about 150 cupcakes and 4 big pans of scotcheroos.

It had been a long time since I'd had a scotcheroo, much less made them, but by the end of the night I had the recipe memorized.  The next day, all I could think about was scotcheroos.  It was a regular craving, multiplied by a pregnancy craving and I knew I had to have them!  I ventured to the basement to see if we had the ingredients to make a batch and surprisingly I did.  (I was worried I would not have the butterscotch chips.)  I was able to put together a batch before I left for work in the morning and by time I got home they were hardened and I could enjoy a big piece!
Melissa's Cuisine: Scotcheroos
Scotcheroos

Makes 1 9x13" pan

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

1.  In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.  Continue stirring occasionally until the mixture begins to boil.

2.  Remove the sugar mixture from the heat and stir in the peanut butter.

3.  Add the cereal to the mixture and stir gently until the cereal is completely coated.

4.  Press the cereal mixture into a greased 9x13" pan.

5.  In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, stirring until smooth.

6.  Spread the chocolate mixture over the cereal bars.

7.  Cool the bars for approximately 2 hours before cutting them.

Store, covered, at room temperature.


2 comments:

  1. Too funny! I just made these yesterday for the girls at work and was thinking I should share them on my blog. Great minds, right? :)
    Scotcheroos are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! I love scotcheroos!
    I would love to have you share this and/or any other recipe at Wednesday Extravaganza - A Foodie Link Party. Hope to see you there :)
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2013/06/wednesday-extravaganza-34.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips