Melissa's Cuisine: Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies

Monday, June 24, 2013

Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies

Melissa's Cuisine: Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
I must admit, I’m not a big fan of store-bought cookies.  My mom spoiled us growing up and we always had homemade cookies in the house.  In fact, one of my close friends would always come to our house right after school because he knew that my mom would have cookies and tea waiting for us!

There is one kind of store-bought cookies that I do really like though, those pillow-soft Lofthouse sugar cookies, topped with a sweet frosting and sprinkles!  Oh, the temptation every time I see them in the store!  I’m not sure what it is about the cookies, perhaps because they are so soft and flaky that they seem homemade, but I have a hard time resisting them.

Melissa's Cuisine: Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
I’ve had a recipe for copy-cat Lofthouse cookies pinned for quite some time now, but I finally had time to make them this weekend.  They require a bit of planning ahead as the dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours prior to rolling it out.  The dough comes together quite easily, and though it is very sticky, a little bit of flour makes it manageable to work with.  I made about 3 dozen regular sized cookies and one giant one, but you’ll have to come back on Wednesday to see what I did with the giant cookie!

Melissa's Cuisine: Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
Copy-cat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies

Makes 5-6 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/2 cups sour cream
6 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

2.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until it is incorporated.

3.  Add the vanilla and sour cream and beat until combined.

4.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until combined.  The dough will be sticky.

5.  Divide the dough in half and flatten into 1-1/2 inch thick rectangles.  (It will help if you work on a floured surface and flour your hands.)  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

6.  Remove one of the dough rectangles from the fridge and unwrap it.  Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. 

7.  Use a 2-1/2” cookie cutter (I actually just use a drinking glass, so mine were probably closer to 3") to cut out cookies.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  It is best to work in small batches and keep the dough cold until you’re ready to work with it.

8.  Bake at 425 for 8 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned.

9.  Allow the cookies to cool completely before frosting them.  (Frosting recipe is below.)  Decorate as desired.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.  You can also freeze unfrosted cookies.

Frosting

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons heavy cream
Food coloring

1.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vanilla.

2.  Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.

3.  Mix in the heavy cream, one Tablespoon at a time, until the desired frosting consistency is achieved. 

4.  If desired, add in a few drops of food color and beat until evenly colored.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  Bring to room temperature before spreading.

27 comments:

  1. These are my favorite store cookies. Yours look perfect! Can't wait to try making them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen many versions of that cookie and even tried some myself but yours actually look just like them! I pinned them on the RecipeNewZ board and to my personal board as well - I'm going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those cookies! I am definitely trying these out sometime, thanks for sharing. Pinning right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to try this! I love these cookies! I would love it if you would come and link this up at my link party
    Dandelion Wishes Wednesday. I'm also pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look very soft and delicious! I have pinned them and plan to enjoy them soon! Thanks for sharing on lil luna's link party. Just dropping by, Sandra, at http://scrumptilicious4you.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look so pretty! The pink icing just brings a smile to my face. Found you through Thursday's Treasures.

    Toodles,
    Tammy (& Catherine) of Living the Gourmet

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-23/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Melissa, love these cookies! How dangerous to be able to make them at home; love it! haha Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I leave the dough in the fridge overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you defrost the cookies? How long will they keep in the freezer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some in my freezer that I made 6 months ago and they're still fine. I just open the freezer bag a bit and leave them on the counter to thaw.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, but these were terrible. I followed all the instructions & they turned out like dry cake. They did not taste anything like the store bought ones :(

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are seriously so adorable! Cookies for breakfast just took on a whole new meaning!

    Marlene
    Skagway Alaska Tours Service

    ReplyDelete
  18. If course the first thing you need to decide is whether or not you want to get an adult cat or a kitten. There are advantages to both. munchkin kittens for sale near me

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. https://travelaroundandsee.wordpress.com/2021/11/20/best-cny-goodies-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. chinese new year snacks singapore

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. https://cnykuehbangkit.wordpress.com/2021/12/17/where-to-buy-cny-goodies-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. 2022 cny goodies

    ReplyDelete
  23. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. hari raya cookies singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips