Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Bars

Friday, May 17, 2013

S'mores Bars

Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Bars
Do you ever get started on making a recipe only to find out you're out a few key ingredients?  Yeah, that's happened to me a few times recently.  I blame pregnancy brain--I rarely run out of ingredients like flour and sugar, but last night I got started making some muffins and discovered I had less than a cup of sugar left!  Yikes!  Thankfully, I had a stash of vanilla sugar I was able to use, but still, who runs out of sugar?
Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Bars

Mike and I recently became part of a couple's small group at our church.  We've started meeting together every other week, and we take turns hosting.  The hosts provide the main dish and the other two couples bring a side or dessert.  Last time, I offered to bring a dessert.  I had a specific dessert in mind that I wanted to make, but of course, I didn't have one of the key ingredients--Nutter Butter Cookies.  (And that's a hard thing to substitute!)  So I went to plan B, only to go to the basement pantry and discover that I was out of yet another key ingredient!  Fail.

Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Bars
So I continued on to find a dessert that I knew I had everything in the house for.  This time I was successful!  They say the third time's the charm, and that certainly was the case with this dessert.  I had pinned these S'mores  Bars a while back and I'm so glad that I finally got around to making them.  They were the perfect combination of crunchy, sweet, and gooey!  Our small group loved these bars and I see them making their appearance at many events this summer!

Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Bars
S'mores Bars

Makes 16 bars

Ingredients:
3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup mini marshmallows, divided
1 regular sized Hershey chocolate bar

1.  Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.

2.  In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.  Place in the bottom of the prepared pan and press down to form a crust.

3.  In a medium bowl, beat the softened butter and sugars until fluffy.

4.  Add in the egg and vanilla and mix.

5.  Add flour, baking soda, and salt to the wet mixture and mix until combined.

6.  Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows until evenly distributed.

7.  Spoon the cookie dough on top of the graham cracker crust as evenly as possible.  (I found it was easier to use my fingers to flatten it out.

8.  Bake at 350 for 20-23 minutes, until the bars are set.

9.  About 5 minutes before the bars are done baking, sprinkle the marshmallows on top and return the bars to the oven to finish baking.

10.  Break the chocolate bar into pieces and place on top of the baked bars.  Let the bars cool completely before cutting.

Source: Chocolate, Chocolate, and More

11 comments:

  1. YUM! LOVE this and your blog!! The T2women have started a brand new link-up party and we'd love for you join in!! Here's the link: http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place-link-up-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. S'mores bars are my favorite!! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Melissa! I saw this on Saturday Spotlight link party. I'm suddenly craving this S'mores Bar! I'm gonna have to make it really soon. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy and so perfect for these fun summer nights! Please come by and share this on Party In Polka Dots!

    http://www.piggyinpolkadots.com/2013/05/party-in-polka-dots-linky-23-fabulous.html

    I hope to see it there!! I am visiting from the party at Nap Time Creations!!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have run out of sugar many times. ;) These are so cute and look delicious! Thank you for sharing them at Manic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what? that looks amazing? Do you ship to Hong Kong! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays and for the link back :o) Can't wait to see what you bring next week. Emily @ Nap-Time Creations

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very good and informative article indeed . It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views. I hope to see more informative and useful articles in future.
    Chill out bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a peaceful Memorial Day Weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences.Canada VPN service

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips