Melissa's Cuisine: Cosmic Brownies

Monday, May 20, 2013

Cosmic Brownies


Melissa's Cuisine: Cosmic Brownies
It was really no contest when it came to deciding which recipe I was going to make for this month's Secret Recipe Club.  As I browsed through Jess's list of recipes at Life's Simple Measures, I was immediately drawn to her recipe for Cosmic Brownies.  She has a plethora of delicious looking baked goods, but like I said once I saw this recipe, there was no turning back.

You see, one of the staples in Mike's lunch is a package of Cosmic Brownies.  He's been eating a package nearly every day since high school.  Really healthy, I know!  Actually, he hasn't had nearly as many since we've been married since I don't buy them for him all the time.  But when I saw a recipe so I could make them at home, I was sold!
Melissa's Cuisine: Cosmic Brownies
I made these brownies for dessert for our small group.  Everyone enjoyed them, but agreed that they are quite rich.  If you look at the picture below, you'll see that I did a really bad job of cutting the brownies into even squares.  However, it worked out in the long run because those small pieces on the edge were just the perfect size for brownies this rich!
Melissa's Cuisine: Cosmic Brownies
Cosmic Brownies

Makes 1 9x13" pan of brownies

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 Tablespoons milk
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup chopped M&M candies (or topping of your choice)

1.  In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla.

2.  Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined.

3.  Pour the batter into a greased 9x13" pan.

4.  Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out mostly clean.  Allow the brownies to cool.

5.   While the brownies are cooling, make the ganache topping:  Pour heavy cream into a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup and microwave the heavy cream for 1 minute, until hot.

6.  Add chocolate chips to the hot heavy cream and allow it to sit for about 3 minutes.  Stir the chocolate chips into the cream until the mixture is smooth.

7.  Pour the ganache over the cooled brownies and sprinkle with chopped M&Ms.

8.  Refrigerate the brownies until you're ready to cut and serve.  Store brownies, covered, in the fridge.

Source: Life's Simple Measures

23 comments:

  1. I can just imagine the intense fudginess of your brownies. Simply delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, dear!!! These brownies deserve the name that they have...They are really cosmic because looking at them makes me wish to transport them to my mouth pretty fast. I hope you have enjoyed my tropical adaption (Pina Colada) of your Miss creamylicios Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family loves rich brownies! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, who cares how they are cut when they sound and look as good as these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What oozy, gooey heavenly bites of chocolate, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Visiting from Marvelous Mondays and following you via bloglovin'! I am always up for a new brownie recipe so these are going in my recipe file and on my Pinterest board "Mouthwatering". Please visit me sometime at http://www.musingsofavintagejunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son loves Cosmic Brownies. These would be so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love the edges of brownies, so those little pieces definitely would be my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look absolutely decadent! I just made some brownies myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! I would, of course, want a big piece ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, brownies with frosting is a double win!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have one of these! I would love for you to share it at All My Bloggy Friends this week! I hope to see you there! Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh. Now I want brownies! The frosting on these is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to make these. The Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies were one of my favs! I didn't like the original Little Debbie Brownies because of the nuts. Seriously, the first time I came across the Cosmic Brownies I bought a box and couldn't stop telling everyone about them!

    Pinned to my food board!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love cosmic brownies! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun brownies! The topping alone sounds so rich and decadent. Stopping in from Miz Helen's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word...that looks like heaven on a plate! Yum!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog posts are very informative. I have a similar blog myself. I’ll add more examples as they come in, which I’m sure they will help full for your blog.
    Best Dining Bars Restaurants Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, those look amazing! I love the way you added pops of color on top.
    Toodles,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  20. These cosmic brownies look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing them at our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! Have a great Memorial Day Weekend. -The Six Sisters
    http://myrecipemagic.com/home/recipes

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you a peaceful Memorial Day Weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips