Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Banana Bread Cake

Friday, May 10, 2013

S'mores Banana Bread Cake

Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Banana Bread Cake
Are you a camper?  Growing up, camping was something we looked forward to every summer.  My family would typically spend a week camping in either Canada or Kentucky.  We'd also spend a couple weekends at local campgrounds.  And, if we took a vacation, we usually camped out instead of staying in a hotel.  It was a big deal for us when we finally upgraded from a tent to a pop-up camper!

Mike's family also enjoyed camping.  However, their version of camping was quite a bit more upscale than what I was used to!  They had a large trailer and would typically just go to local campgrounds.  Regardless, camping is something that both Mike and I love to do.

Mike's cousins have started a tradition of camping at a family campground each summer.  Last year and the year before, we were able to borrow Mike's parents' trailer and spend the weekend with everyone.  We had such a good time and made so many memories.  Mike and I own a tent and would love to go camping with a group of friends, but that's going to have to wait until next year...
Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Banana Bread Cake


One of my favorite things about camping is making s'mores.  It's just not camping unless you build a big fire, roast marshmallows, and put together a s'more.  There's just something about the golden brown marshmallow melting a big piece of chocolate between two graham crackers that I just love!  While I like traditional campfire s'mores, I also enjoy making other treats into s'mores.  (Like S'mores Puppy Chow, Mess-less S'mores, S'mores Bark...oh, I love s'mores!)

This time I decided to put a s'mores twist on banana bread.  This bread recipe is from my mom and it's my absolute favorite banana bread recipe.  I added a good amount of chocolate chips to the batter.  Then, once the bread was done baking, I topped it with a generous amount of marshmallows and put it under the broiler to roast the marshmallows.  The result was out of this world!
Melissa's Cuisine: S'mores Banana Bread Cake

S'mores Banana Bread Cake

Serves 16

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup mashed bananas (3-4 bananas)
1/3 cup water
1-2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows

1.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, and eggs.

2.  Mix in the bananas and water.

3.  Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and stir until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

4.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

5.  Pour the batter into a greased 8x8" cake pan.

6.  Bake at 350 for 65-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

7.  Spread mini marshmallows on top of the cake immediately after it comes out of the oven.

8.  Place under the broiler for approximately 2 minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted.  Be sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn!

9.  Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing into it.

Cover and store at room temperature.

7 comments:

  1. They look so yummy. I am a new follower. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! all my favorite things! visiting from foodtastic friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... this looks so good! I just may have to make this this weekend. I have two very ripe bananas sitting in my fruit bowl right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some kids that are going to think I am God's gift to them when they try this. I hope you'll come and share at my weekly party: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/whatd-you-do-this-weekend-15/ Glad I saw this at Mix it Up Mondays. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. You are being featured this weekend. I'm getting the post ready early because we are going camping :o) Come on over on Saturday and check it out. I would LOVE for you to put my featured button in this post or on a featured page... Thanks SO much!
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/05/sweet-tooth.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. obat bronkitis kronis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips