Melissa's Cuisine: Chocolate Cherry Cake

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Cake


Happy Valentine's Day!  I made you chocolate!

I am so excited about this new dessert challenge hosted by Sheryl, of Lady Behind the Curtain.  Today is the inaugural posting for the Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge.  Each month, Sheryl will announce the two must-have ingredients and a group of bloggers will get to work creating recipes featuring those ingredients.
This month's ingredients are chocolate and cherries.  I immediately started brainstorming recipes I could make: Mike's Grandma's Chocolate and Cherry Cookies, Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Sauce (not a dessert...oops!), Chocolate Filled Cream Puffs with Cherry Sauce, Granola with Chocolate  and Cherries (again, not a dessert!), Chocolate and Cherry Ice-Cream...my mind was swirling with great ideas.  Unfortunately, time got the best of me and after procrastinating, I realized I had only a few days to come up with the perfect recipe. 

Then I remembered a cake I'd had at Mike's Grandma's house.  It was a chocolate and cherry cake and I remember it being so moist and just delicious!  Someone had told me it was quite easy to make--just a box of chocolate cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling.  Easy and delicious?  I was sold! 

After a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up my ingredients, I was ready.  This cake was everything I'd hoped for and then some!  Luckily for me, Mike doesn't like cake, so I get to eat it all myself (just another benefit of being pregnant!)

Chocolate Cherry Cake

Makes 1 9x13" cake

Ingredients:
1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
1 (21 oz.) can Cherry Pie Filling

1.  In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix and the pie filling.  (The cherries will likely break up, this is normal.)

2.  Pour into a greased 9x13" cake pan.

3.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Allow cake to cool before slicing.  Store covered, at room temperature.

15 comments:

  1. This looks deliciously moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, my first thought was to make a cherry chocolate cake! I'm glad I changed my mind because yours looks incredible!!!! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so rich and tasty! I love good cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I can't believe this cake only uses 2 ingredients...that I already have in my pantry. I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO easy and SO yummy!!! Such a wonderful recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! Your cake looks so decadent. Thanks for participating in the Dessert Challenge. Can't wait to see what you create for us next month! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Yum Yum!! I've made this cake and I know it is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks heavenly! I found you on the GYB hop and am your newest follower! I was hopin' that you'd hop on by my blog, stay a while, and follow back if you like what you read!

    Have a lovely day,
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious - I'm not pregnant, but I would want it all to myself also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy and easy recipe all in one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I'm a new follower! Found you at the GYFBH!

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a cake my mom used to make when we were kids and it is to die for! Yours looks perfect moist and fudgey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by! Newest follower. Congrats on baby!! It's the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love chocolate and cherries, I am so tempted to make this stat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow!! What a great idea. I'll bet these are delish! My husband loves cherry so I'm going to have to give these a try.

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips