Melissa's Cuisine: Rocky Road Oatmeal

Monday, February 18, 2013

Rocky Road Oatmeal


Last year I went through a phase where I ate nothing by steel cut oatmeal for breakfast every day for about six months.  I continued this trend until after I completed my half-marathon and I decided to branch out.  About a month later, I tried oatmeal again but was only able to eat a few bites.  It just didn't sit well with me.  I had no idea what was going on until I found out I was pregnant--crazy taste buds.

Thankfully, my tastes are pretty much back to normal.  It was perfect timing too, because as I browsed through My Catholic Kitchen for this month's Secret Recipe Club assignment, I was intrigued by Veronica's recipe for Rocky Road Oatmeal.  It is made with steel cut oats (my favorite) and chocolate.  I figured I couldn't go wrong!  Veronica gives directions to make this breakfast in the slow cooker, but timing-wise that wasn't going to work for me.  I just made mine in a pot on the stove and it worked out just fine. 

This made for a great breakfast--you can't beat chocolate and marshmallows first thing in the morning!  It was pretty sweet, so I'd suggest cutting down on the sugar or taking a smaller portion.  I topped mine with some milk chocolate chips and marshmallow bits.  While I wouldn't eat this every day for breakfast, I'll definitely make it again for a special treat!
Rocky Road Oatmeal

Serves 4

Ingredients:
3-1/4 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 teaspoons milk chocolate chips
4 teaspoons marshmallow bits

1.  In a medium pan, bring the water to a rolling boil.

2.  Add the steel cut oats, brown sugar, and cocoa powder to the water and stir to dissolve the sugar.

3.  Allow the oats to cook for 30 minutes, until they are tender.

4.  Scoop oatmeal into a bowl and top oats with milk chocolate chips and marshmallow bits before serving.

Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.  I add a splash of milk before reheating and the oats taste freshly made.

Source: My Catholic Kitchen

24 comments:

  1. Chocolate for breakfast sounds perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of oatmeal!! Seriously good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you just made breakfast so deliciously decadent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - this oatmeal looks amazing! My mom makes Rocky Road for Christmas every year but it is so decadent you can literally only eat it once a year! This looks like something I could eat once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of chocolate oatmeal, but I love the idea. Yum! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I go through oatmeal jags too and recently have gotten back into it w/ a yummy recipe for PB&J overnight oats. Will be trying this one out for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! I love Veronica's sight. In fact, the recipe that was chosen from my site for this month's SRC was one that I did from Veronica's when I was assigned her.

    This looks like breakfast for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks sweet. Might actually get my girls to eat oatmeal with this recipe...lol I'm a fellow SRC member, group D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dessert for breakfast? Where do I sign up???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, that's one decadent breakfast! I might be able to get my kids to eat oatmeal if I start serving it like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow, my kiddos would love this... and perhaps, so would my sweet tooth too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about a kid friendly breakfast, or is it dessert? Either way, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do love oatmeal around here, I will have to give this recipe a try!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fun breakfast! great choice for the SRC...visiting from group A :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I eat steel cut oats every day for lunch and love trying new flavor combos- this one is definitely going on my list, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're telling me I can have this for breakfast?! Sign me up!! I love anything rocky road!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa: This oatmeal looks beyond delicious... Since my daughter and I love both chocolate and oatmeal, I'll have to try it!! Thanks for visiting me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this looks good! Really good! I have never had chocolatey oatmeal so might have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of this before, but I love oatmeal. I should try it :)
    I hope you stop by to link to my blog- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/02/link-party-8.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! that oatmeal looks great! I am so glad you liked it! You made a great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips