Melissa's Cuisine: Protein Balls

Friday, February 03, 2012

Protein Balls

I've been trying to incorporate more protein into my diet lately.  There are so many choices out there for high protein foods--chicken, eggs, cheese, yogurt.  I've been doing well reaching my targeted amount of protein each day, but sometimes I want a snack in a different form.  Specifically something sweet--but without derailing my healthy eating habits. 

Enter protein balls.  These little snacks are packed full of good things!  I shaped mine into approximately 1-1/2 inch balls and ended up with 40 of them.  Each ball has 4.2 grams of protein, which I think is pretty good, and it is sweet enough to satisfy my sweet craving.  Of course, your nutritional stats might vary depending on the brands you use (especially the protein powder), and feel free to substitute ingredients or add some in to make your own version.  I think these would be great with with dried cherries or raisins...really your options could be endless!

Protein Balls

Makes 40 1-1/2" balls

You will need:
1 cup honey
1-1/2 cups peanut butter (I used chunky)
2 cups powdered milk
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup protein powder

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  (I used my hands to mix it as it was too stiff to stir.)  Roll into 1-1/2 inch balls.  Store in the refrigerator.

One protein ball has approximately: 118 calories, 14.5g carbohydrates, 8.7g sugar, 1.8g fiber, 4.2g protein, 5.7g fat

Source:  My original recipe

2 comments:

  1. These look really good - and so full of good for you things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a recipe very similar to these on Pinterest and made them this week. They are delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips