Melissa's Cuisine: Bailey's Marshmallows

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bailey's Marshmallows

I know, it's nearly spring, so why I am posting a snowman?  Well, here in Michigan, we're expecting an ice storm to hit today.  (Actually it looks like it's going to just rain instead...gotta love our Michigan winter!) I love to have a cup of hot chocolate with melty marshmallows to keep me warm when it's so cold outside.  I thought I better post this marshmallow before winter is completely over :)

I love to make my own marshmallows, there's just something so fun about making and eating them!  These marshmallows are a little different from my typical recipe for marshmallows...these have a special ingredient in them that make them unique.  These marshmallows get their kick from Bailey's...yes that's right, the liquer you might enjoy in your coffee or just on the rocks.  Mike tried rum cream (similar to Bailey's) on our honeymoon and really liked it.  I knew he'd get a kick out of these marshmallows too!
These Bailey's marshmallows do have the flavor of a shot of Bailey's!  The texture was slightly different from a typical marshmallow but the fun flavor made up for that!  These were delicious in a cup of hot chocolate, but I think they would also be fabulous if you dipped them in melted chocolate...yum!

*Note:  These are not kid friendly, so please make and indulge responsibly!  Please see my other marshmallow recipe for a kid friendly version!

Bailey's Marshmallows

Makes one 9x13" pan

You will need:

3-1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold Bailey's
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1 Tablespoon vanilla

1.  Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray and coat with powdered sugar.  Set aside for later.

2.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, pour 1/2 cup of the cold Bailey's and sprinkle with the gelatin.  Stir once with a spoon and then let it sit.

3.  In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup of Bailey's, sugar, corn syrup, and salt.  Heat over low heat, whisking constantly until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. 

4.  Turn the heat up to medium and bring the sugar mixture up to a boil.  Let it boil for 8-10 minutes, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. 

5.  Turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and slowly (carefully) add the hot sugar mixture to the gelatin mixture.  Once all the sugar has been added, turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 6-8 minutes.

6.  While the sugar and gelatin mixture is beating, add the egg whites to a medium bowl and beat with your hand mixture. Beat eggs until stiff peaks form.

7.  Add the eggs and vanilla to the sugar and gelatin mixture and beat until just combined.

8.  Pour the marshmallow mixture into the greased 9x13" pan.  It will be sticky, so get as much out of the bowl as possible.

9.  If desired, drop food coloring onto the top of the marshmallow mixture and swirl through with a toothpick. 

10.  Dust powdered sugar on top of the marshmallows and let them firm up for 3 to 5 hours.

11.  Once the marshmallows are firm, turn the pan upside down onto a cutting board.  Cut into desired sized squares using a pizza cutter dipped in water. 

Store marshmallows in an airtight container.

Source:  How Sweet Eats

3 comments:

  1. I love your snowman mug!!! Those are really cute and look yummy, too! I wish we were getting some snow since we haven't had any all season, but instead we have severe weather here.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. see this is what I screwed up, LOL. I made these too but I was not smart enough to realize I should cut the water out and use the baileys there. Wait until you see how mine turned out, horrible! SO glad I found this so I can try it again:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips