Melissa's Cuisine: Monte Crisco Sandwiches with Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread

Monday, February 20, 2012

Monte Crisco Sandwiches with Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread

After having January off for some modifications, the Secret Recipe Club is now back up and running for February!  This month, I was assigned to Sara's blog, Cook with Sara.  I spent hours reading through her blog, all the way back to the beginning.  I made a list of recipes to try--a huge list!  I found that Sara and I have similar tastes and so many of her recipes sounded delicious! 

I finally narrowed my choices down to a few and I let Mike pick the winning recipe.  Luckily for me, he chose the Monte Crisco Sandwiches, which meant I also got to make Sara's Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread.  What a fantastic choice!  The bread was so easy to make, and it was absolutely delicious!  We enjoyed the bread on the sandwiches and for a few breakfasts.  The sandwiches were also fantastic.  Mike and I both love breakfast sandwiches on english muffins, so it was a delicious twist to have it on a sweet bread instead.  I made my eggs differently than Sara (Mike and I don't care for fried eggs, so I made ours omelet-style), but otherwise followed the directions pretty closely.  I know these are both recipes we'll make again and again!
Sweet and Salty Breakfast Monte Cristos

Serves 4
8 slices cinnamon raisin quick bread (recipe below)
8 thin slices smoked ham
4 slices swiss cheese
4 eggs, fried or cooked omelet-style
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

1.  On 4 slices of bread, layer two slices of ham, one slice of swiss cheese, and one cooked egg.

2.  Top with second slice of bread.

3.  Whisk remaining two eggs and milk in a shallow dish.

4.  Carefully place the sandwiches, one at a time, in the egg batter to coat. Flip to coat both sides.

5.  Place sandwiches in a hot skillet and cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes.

6.  Carefully flip sandwiches over and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove and serve hot.

Source: Cook With Sara
Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread

Makes one 9x4" loaf, approximately 12 slices

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 T vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup)
1/4 cup canola oil (I used applesauce)
1/4 cup raisins
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking soda and salt.

2.  In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil.

3.  Stir the wet mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.

4.  In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.

5.  Spoon half of the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Repeat layers and cut through batter with a knife to swirl.

6.  Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.

Source: Cook With Sara

19 comments:

  1. Yum! This sound delicious! I bet Mike loves making these kinds of decisions - I know Bob would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really yummy! I have never thought of putting Monte Cristos on cinnamon bread, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique twist on the Monte Cristo sandwich-I love salty and sweet so I know I'd love this! And it looks so pretty-great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these look really scrumptious! I love things savory and sweet. What a great recipe you chose! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monte Cristo's are a fav sandwich of mine. I so need to try it with that cinnamon raisin bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, bet the monte cristo was super with the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting breakfast - never had that before, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great choice. The bread looks fantastic and I love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you liked these!!! An inspired choice for sure! They are SO good and you get two things - delicious bread and a great sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite sandwiches of all time. Never had it with raisin bread, but sounds tasty. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really intrigued by these flavors. I love how you had Mike pick out the recipe. I may have to copy you and have the hubby pick for me next time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I was just thinking about this sandwich today too as I havent had one in years but recall them being delicious.

    Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an unusual twist to a Monte Cristo! Looks tasty> Excellent SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious and interesting sounding Monte Cristo.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmmm....I love Monte Cristos...and making it on raisin bread is genius! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the addition of cinnamon bread to take this sandwich over the top. Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorite sandwiches of all time. I bookmarked this page to make your cinnamon bread. Both look so delicious! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great looking breakfast sandwich. Are you kidding? I need one! Hey....your blog looks awesome. Love the green!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips