Melissa's Cuisine: Fig Tart with Mascarpone Cream

Monday, August 12, 2013

Fig Tart with Mascarpone Cream

Good morning! Today, Ashley, from The Mommy Games, is sharing a recipe for a Fig Tart.  I've loved figs ever since my boss brought some into work a couple years ago.  I don't get a chance to eat them too often though.  This fig tart looks delicious, and it's easy enough that I think I could even make it while Summer is napping.  Be sure to check out Ashley's blog and tell her thank you for posting today!


Hi, I’m Ashley! I’m a NYC mom of two, runner, book lover, and total foodie. I write a little blog, The Mommy Games, where I share favorite recipes, my adventures in running and staying in shape, and lots of mommy tidbits. I’m super passionate about being a mom, which is why I jumped at the chance to come and help Melissa out as she gets settled into the craziest, most wonderful job there is – motherhood! Becoming a mom is one of the most exciting and wonderful, yet scary and exhausting experiences in a woman’s life, and I love to help new moms in any way I can.  Well, I won’t be getting up to do any 2 am feedings. That’s all on you, Melissa!
I’m so thrilled to share this delicious recipe with you today. This tart is one of my favorite desserts not only because it’s delicious, but it’s also deceptively impressive and will have all of your friends swooning. In truth, my toddler has helped me make this many a time, so you know it’s easy. But if you don’t tell, I won’t, and everyone can think that you slaved away all day to make this fabulous dessert. The sweet figs and honey drizzle are the perfect complement to the creamy, slightly tangy filling. The combination is seriously addictive, and don’t be surprised if you find yourself sneaking a slice in the middle of the night.  
Thanks again to Melissa for letting me visit with you all, and please come say “hi” over at The Mommy Games. I also love making new friends on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (my favorite!).

Fig Tart with Mascarpone Cream
Adapted from 
The Winemaker Cooks
1 1/2 cups AP Flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3 T ice water
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup honey, extra for drizzling
8 figs, quartered lengthwise
  • For Pastry: in a food processor, pulse flour and salt until combined, then add butter and process until it forms coarse crumbs.
  • Add the water, 1 T at a time, until mixture just comes together.
  • Remove dough and shape into a disk, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
  • Remove the dough from the fridge and allow to soften for a few minutes.
  • Roll into an 11-in. round, then place over a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
  • Press dough into the sides, then run rolling pin over the top to remove excess dough.
  • Place back in the fridge for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
    • Preheat oven to 375ºF.
    • Remove pastry from fridge, prick all over with a fork, then line crust with parchment and fill with dried beans.
    • Bake for 20 minutes, then remove paper and beans and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until just golden.
    • Transfer crust to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
    • For Filling: in a medium bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, sour cream, and honey.
    • Spread into cooled crust, then arrange figs on top in concentric circles.
    • Remove from pan, and drizzle with additional honey before serving.

1 comment:

  1. You could definitely make this with the baby naps. Or you could take a nap as well, which is all I did in those newborn days! :) Congrats again Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips