Melissa's Cuisine: Watermelon: Tips and Tricks

Monday, July 08, 2013

Watermelon: Tips and Tricks

One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of fresh fruits.  I love eating fruit year round, but it's even better to enjoy fruits that are in season.  I eat a big bowl of fruit every morning with my breakfast; it's a delicious, filling, and healthy way to start my day.

This week I'll be sharing some posts about fruit.  I have discovered some tricks to keeping fruit fresh longer, as well as some tips for cutting certain fruits.  If you love fruit as much as I do, I hope you'll find these tips and tricks helpful.

Watermelon: Tips and Tricks


First up is watermelon.  I think I can credit my uncle for my love of watermelon!  I remember visiting him in Kentucky and sitting by his pool eating an enormous slice of watermelon.  I'm not exaggerating either--he cut a watermelon into quarters and my brother and I each had a quarter.  It was delicious!

I grew up cutting watermelon into slices, cutting through the rind, and ending up with some very uneven pieces.  I don't remember where I learned this trick for cutting up a watermelon, but it has become my go-to method.  This way results in a minimal amount of wasted flesh, as well as fairly even chunks.  I would recommend using this method for cutting if you are planning to use the watermelon in a fruit salad or planning to store cut up melon in the fridge.

When you purchase your watermelon, you'll want to look for a fruit that is dull green.  Look for a white-yellow circle on the bottom, this indicates that the melon was left in one spot to ripen, and that's a good thing.    Give the watermelon a slap; if it sounds hollow, you have a good melon!

I cut up this watermelon for our 4th of July lunch.  Special thanks to Mike and my mom for taking pictures of the process for me!

To begin, place your watermelon on a clean cutting board.  You'll need a good sharp knife.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Slice off both ends of the watermelon.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Stand the melon up on one of the sliced ends.  Following the curves of the watermelon, slice the rind off vertically.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Continue to slice off the rind until the whole fruit is bare.  If necessary, slice off any white pieces you may have missed.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
When the flesh is completely exposed, lay the watermelon on one side and slice into rounds.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks

Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks

Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Slice each watermelon round into chunks.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks

Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Place chunks in a bowl and enjoy!
Melissa's Cuisine:  Watermelon: Tips and Tricks
Cut watermelon can be served immediately, or stored in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to serve.  I find that when properly stored, cut watermelon lasts about 1 week in the fridge (though it's rare that it lasts that long in my house!)

Other Fruit Tips and Tricks:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Mangoes

12 comments:

  1. I look for that white yellow spot too - it's a good tip. Now I want some watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! That's how I chop pineapple. I usually chop watermelon like an avocado, where you slice it then scoop it out. Found you at marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that watermelon looks delicious! And I never knew you could cut up a watermelon that way. THanks! oh, and i love that cutting board. Reminds me of my cutting board. :) Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday's Linky Party.

    Christine
    http://www.myepicureanadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME tips! I've never tried cutting a watermelon like this before and now I feel like rushing to the store to buy one right now to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

    Best,
    Jen @ YummyHealthyEasy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love watermelon! from cooking with love link up

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you put a stainless steel steamer basket in the bottom of your bowl before refrigerating, the watermelon keeps so much better as it is not sitting in the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just love watermelon, it looks so good! Hope you are having a great summer weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! Never heard of taking off all the rind first. It makes so much sense! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great tutorial! Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been sent an understated white to show you here, the range comes in a gorgeous funky set of colours too. https://www.amazon.com/Vremi-Toaster-Slice-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01L7DHAEW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Israel isn't just the land of milk and honey, but of wheat, barley, figs, dates, grapes, olives and pomegranates, too! These foods, known as the Seven Species (shivat haminim), are mentioned many times in the Bible.
    Read about basket of fruit and vegetables also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips