Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Scones

Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Scones

Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Scones
How is it possible that it is already time for October's Secret Recipe Club reveal? Cliche, I know, but I can't believe how quickly this year has passed. Halloween is already next week and before we know it, it will be Thanksgiving and then Christmas!

I am not complaining though, I absolutely love this time of the year! I especially love the flavors of the seasons, specifically apples and pumpkin. Last month I hit the jackpot with a delicious apple recipe, a Rustic Apple Galette.

Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Scones
This month, I was assigned to Heather's blog,  It's Yummy to My Tummy. I set out to find another recipe that would is the flavors of the season. When I came across this recipe for Pumpkin Scones, I knew this was the recipe I would be making.

These scones came together in a flash. I made a few adjustments to the recipe, using heavy cream in place of half and half as I find cream makes scones tender, and I only made the spiced icing rather than 2 icings. I loved these scones. They were full of flavor and absolutely delicious alongside a hot cup of apple cider for breakfast or a snack.
Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Scones
Pumpkin Scones

Makes 8 scones

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 egg


1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of cloves
pinch of ginger
2 Tablespoons milk

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.

2.   Cut the butter into the dry mixture, and combine until the mixture looks like wet sand.  (You can also use your food processor for this step.  I just used 2 knives, or you could also use a fork.)

3.  In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, and egg.

4.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until a ball of dough is formed.

5.  Place the dough on a floured surface and form a large dough circle, about 1 inch thick.

6.  Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 8 equal wedges.

7.  Place scones on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, until light golden brown.

8.  While the scones are cooling, mix together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and milk to form the icing.

9.  Drizzle the icing over the cooled scones and allow it to set before serving.

Source: It's Yummy to My Tummy

10 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a scone lover but these I would definitely chow down. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I LOVE SCONES! (yes, I just needed to yell that ;)) I agree Melissa - am in LOVE with Autumn flavors like apple and pumpkin. They make me right giddy!!

    I had you this month for SRC - I made your poppers - hope you like them :) I certainly did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pumpkin scones look amazing! Love the spiced glaze!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious....perfect to match with my lonely cup of coffee this morning! Visiting from Group B....great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for featuring the pumpkin scones from my blog! These are such a perfect fall or wintery treat.they even freeze well if you have leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I adore scones and I even have a scone pan so I am trying these! Pinned! Visiting from Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had one of these RIGHT NOW! Divine. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scones look great! Waking up to these would make getting up early a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin scones. Love making them. These look perfect for a cold winter's day. OR any day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips