Melissa's Cuisine: Avocados: Tips and Tricks

Friday, March 28, 2014

Avocados: Tips and Tricks

An avocado is a superfood, full of healthy fats, high in potassium, and incredibly versatile in its uses.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
Last summer I did a series of tips and tricks about various fruits.  Since I was recently introduced to avocados, I thought I would add a post about them!

I haven't always been a fan of avocados, but lately I have been purchasing them more often and incorporating them into our diet.  In fact, avocados were recommended as a first food for Summer.  Part of the reason for my post today is because I'll be talking about avocados in an upcoming Homemade Baby Food post and this will make a good reference!  Also, I have a delicious recipe coming up that uses avocado!

When choosing an avocado, you'll want to choose a fruit that is soft when pressed.  Side note here:  did you know avocados are actually fruit?  I always thought they were vegetables!  The flesh of an avocado turns brown when exposed to air (like bananas) and that can be prevented by serving it immediately or sprinkling it with lemon juice.  Avocados are typically served raw.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
Once you have selected a perfectly ripe avocado, you'll want to cut it in half lengthwise.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
You can discard the pit.  (I have heard you can plant it and grow your own avocado tree.  Has anyone ever tried it?)
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
You can cut your avocado in a few different ways.  These are the two I do most often.  You can score the flesh of the avocado while in the skin.  Then flip the skin "inside out"  and the flesh will fall off.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
Alternatively, you can scoop the flesh of the avocado out of the skin with a large spoon.
Melissa's Cuisine:  Avocados:  Tips and Tricks
Place the avocado on a cutting board and slice as desired.  I typically dice mine so it is easier to mash.  If you're serving the avocado on a salad or burger, you could cut it into wedges.

Remember that avocados brown quickly, so you'll want to use the avocado shortly after you cut it.

Other Fruit Tips and Tricks:
Watermelon
Strawberries
Blueberries
Mangoes
Pineapple

13 comments:

  1. I wish I could grow my own avocado tree - I would love that! Thanks so much for linking this up to The Friday Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocado is one of my favorites ever, in a dip or with pasta or even on chicken. It is just the kind of thing that works with almost everything. Thanks for sharing this tip! Passing by from the G'day party link up!
    Marwa @ http://www.blossomfamily.net/my-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to see someone saying g'day! Thanks so much Marwa! x

      Delete
  3. Avocado's are so yummy thanks for putting them in the spotlight! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips for us on Avocados! Thank you so much for sharing this special post with Full Plate Thursday and have a fantastic week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can grow an avocado plant by inserting a toothpick in opposite sides of the seed - then fill a jar with water and set the avocado seed on the jar, supported by the toothpicks, with about a third of the seed in the water. I "think" I cut a small slit in the seed before putting it in the water. Then be patient and wait, keeping the water level up over the third of the seed. It makes a nice houseplant - and I guess you could repot it in a large pot to grow larger - and even plant it in the ground......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I am going to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. That is so cool! I am going to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. That is so cool! I am going to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I love avocados and am so glad that more people are starting to eat them again. It's about time people realized that saturated fats are okay! I have just shared this post on Google+ and Pinterest.

    Thanks so much for sharing your post at the Say G'Day Saturday linky party. I hope you can join in again tomorrow!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love avocado I eat it nearly every day. Thanks for the tip. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips