Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Rolls

Monday, November 04, 2013

Pumpkin Rolls

These pumpkin shaped dinner rolls are sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving dinner!
Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Rolls
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that she heard a Christmas song on the radio this morning!  Have you heard Christmas music yet?  I haven't decided yet if I'm ready for Christmas music.  I love it, but Halloween was just a couple days ago and it's not even Thanksgiving yet.  Typically I start listening to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving is such a special holiday and I think sometimes it get skipped over.  I went to the store the day after Halloween and saw Halloween costumes and candy on clearance in one aisle, and Christmas decorations in the next aisle.  Thanksgiving was nowhere to be found!  I'm one of many people on Facebook participating in the 30 days of Thankfulness; each day we post something we are thankful for as our status.  I think it's a good way to keep the focus on Thanksgiving!
Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Rolls
So, I hope you don't mind, but rather than skip right to Christmas, I'll still be sharing some fall and Thanksgiving type recipes for the next couple weeks. 

These dinner rolls were a hit at our Thanksgiving dinner last year.  I made them using my favorite pretzel dough since our whole family was on a pretzel kick last fall.  You can use any roll dough as long as it holds its shape.  Using scissors, I cut little slits in a ball of dough and baked it.  As soon as the rolls came out of the oven, I stuck an almond in the middle as the stem.  Not only are these rolls delicious, they look gorgeous on your dinner table!
Melissa's Cuisine: Pumpkin Rolls
Pumpkin Rolls

Makes 12 rolls

Ingredients:
1 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees)
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2-1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons baking soda
coarse sea salt (or pretzel salt)
butter for brushing on top
12 almonds

1.  Pour the warm milk into a large bowl and sprinkle with the yeast.  Let it sit for about 2 minutes.

2.  Mix in the brown sugar and 1 cup of flour.

3.  Melt the 2 Tablespoons of butter and stir into the mixture.

4.  Add the remaining flour and salt.  Mix to form a slightly sticky dough.

5.  Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky.

6.  Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place to rise until the dough doubles (about 1 hour). 

7.  Punch the dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.

8.  Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll them into a ball.

9.  Using kitchen scissors, cut 6 1/2 inch slits around the dough ball, being sure to leave the center uncut.

10.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.

11.  Bake rolls at 450 for 8-10 minutes, until golden.

12.  Remove rolls from the oven and brush with melted butter while hot. Sprinkle with coarse salt.

13.  Press an almond vertically into the center of each roll as the stem.

Shaping idea from: Beyond Kimchee

9 comments:

  1. They are so cute and I know they taste yummy too.
    I heard a Christmas song on WCSG to day when I was coming home from work. I couldn't believe it! I usually start listening right after Thanksgiving too - and then I only want to hear Christmas music, but I agree that we don't give enough time to Thanksgiving. Actually, I think we should do like the Canadians do (don't tell your Mom I said that) I wish we had Thanksgiving earlier. It would be more time for Christmas prep, plus we should have it when it's actually harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I love them! Totally pinning to make for Thanksgiving. I will not even think about Christmas or Christmas music until the Friday after Thanksgiving. I want to enjoy each holiday on its own!

    I would love for you to come over and link up at Wine'd Down Wednesday if you get a chance. We party every week from Tuesday evening to late Friday night! Hope to see you there!
    http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/wined-down-wednesday-link-party-9/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute rolls, Melissa! Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable are those! i think they are being added to my Thanksgiving menu. thanks for sharing http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,
    What perfect Rolls for the holidays, can't wait to make these! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I need to make them! Would love for you to come share at my link party http://mommyondemand.com/create-bake-5/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to Saturday Dishes.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. There will be an opportunity to write your work perfectly because given that any written work is where a nurse write, you will relax and get a good mark, it's insanely easy to do, you will write a competent and high-quality work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips