Melissa's Cuisine: Blackberry Sauce

Friday, August 22, 2014

Blackberry Sauce

This delicious sauce is made with fresh blackberries and has so many uses!
Melissa's Cuisine: Blackberry Sauce


When we were camping last month, we took a hike to go pick blackberries.  Unfortunately we were a couple weeks too early and there weren't many ripe blackberries on the bushes.  We were able to find a few though and they were delicious!

Melissa's Cuisine: Blackberry Sauce

Our adventure left me craving fresh blackberries so when I saw some at the store I knew I had to stock up.  I bought a few too many containers, so I had to make something, quick!  I'm trying to limit the amount of baked goods in the house right now, otherwise I would have made this Blackberry Peach Cobbler.  Instead I opted to make a simple blackberry sauce.

The possiblities with this sauce are endless.  It's a delicious ice-cream topping!  I've also enjoyed it as a jam on a biscuit, fresh from the oven.  It's great on toast, too, and as a topping for waffles and pancakes.  Oh, and what about spreading it between layers of a cake?  Mmmm....
Melissa's Cuisine: Blackberry Sauce

Blackberry Sauce

4 cups blackberries
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar

1.  Combine blackberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan.

2.  Mash berries with a potato masher to desired consistency.

3.  Heat over medium heat until the sauce bubbles and thickens.  I let mine get pretty thick, so it would spread like jam.  The sauce will also thicken a bit as it cools.

Store in a glass jar in the fridge.  Will keep for up to a month.
01 10 11 12
Blogging tips