Melissa's Cuisine: Power Smoothie

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Power Smoothie

Melissa's Cuisine: Smoothie Week
I don't talk about it a lot here, but one of my greatest passions is exercise and fitness.  It seems a little contradictory--a food blogger (and not a healthy one) who loves to run and work out!  But, it's the truth.

I didn't always love working out.  After Mike and I got engaged, I started working out every day to get in shape for our wedding.  I ate well and felt great.  When we got married, I was at what I believe to be my lowest weight as an adult.  Then we got married, and I started eating as much as Mike, and the pounds started packing on.  I wasn't exercising as much because I didn't have the motivation of my wedding!

Melissa's Cuisine: Power Smoothie
A few months after we got married, I found some motivation and started the couch to 5k program.  I realized how much I still enjoyed working out, and discovered a new love--running. The summer after we got married, I purchased a trial gym membership for each of us.  I would get up in the mornings with Mike and when he would head to work, I would go to the gym.   After our trial membership ended, we purchased a "real" gym membership at another gym.  I loved going every morning and getting a good workout in before work.  I also fell in love with spinning and weight lifting.

After a hard workout, I'd often come home and make what I call a power smoothie.  It's called power because it has blueberries (high in antioxidants), kale (a superfood), and flax seed (a wonder food) in it.  It tastes great, and I found it to be a great recovery drink after a workout.  Sometimes I'd even add a scoop of protein powder to the mix for more staying power.

I made one of these for Mike after we worked out together.  I didn't tell him that it had kale in it until after he finished drinking (and enjoying) the smoothie.  Then I told him it was really a green smoothie and he wasn't too impressed!  He told me to never hide healthy stuff in his food again.  Ha!  That's one request I don't think I'll be following ;)
Melissa's Cuisine: Power Smoothie

Power Smoothie

Serves 1

Ingredients:
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 small handful spinach or kale
1 frozen banana
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
1/2 cup yogurt

Blend ingredients together in your blender until smooth.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I think I may need this to get through the weekend. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips