Melissa's Cuisine: French Toast Rollups

Friday, May 03, 2013

French Toast Rollups

I seem to have breakfast on the brain lately.  Have you seen my Pinterest account?  I think half of the recipes I pinned this week were for breakfasts!  Not to mention, I did post a breakfast recipe the other day.  Have you checked out my Biscuit Waffles yet?  They take just 10 minutes to make and they're so good!  Go ahead and check them out, I'll wait...

Okay, back to today's recipe.  I saw this idea when I was browsing my assigned blog for last month's Secret Recipe Club.  I didn't have time to make it before the posting date, but I knew I would have to soon!


The original recipe brought back memories of breakfasts when I was in Romania.  I remember waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh crepes baking.  When I came out of my room, the table was filled with homemade crepes and a jar of Nutella spread (or the Romanian equivalent) and fresh fruit.  We smeared Nutella on the crepes and rolled them up to eat.  I loved the breakfast so much, I think my hostess made it for me a couple times a week!

This recipe combines the idea of Nutella on crepes along with French Toast.  Really, how can you go wrong with that combination?  I decided to mix it up a little bit and do some of these with Nutella, others with Peanut Butter, and still others with homemade strawberry freezer jam.  I had a really difficult time choosing a favorite, but the sweetness of the Nutella really made those rolls stand out to me!


French Toast Rollups

Makes 12 (approximately 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
12 sandwich bread slices
Nutella, Peanut Butter, and/or Jam
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1.  In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla.  Set aside.
2.  If desired, remove the crusts from the bread.  (I was lazy and left mine on.)  Using a rolling pin, flatten the bread.
3.  Spread Nutella (or your choice of filling) onto bread slices and roll up, pinching the seam to seal.
4.  Place 2 Tablespoons of butter into a skillet or frying pan and melt over medium heat.
5.  Dip the bread rolls in the egg mixture and place them in the frying pan.  I worked in batches of 6.
6.  Cook the rollups until golden brown, rolling them around as need to ensure even cooking (about 4 minutes total).
7.  Melt remaining butter and cook remaining rollups.
8.  Dust the rollups with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Source: Diethood

6 comments:

  1. These look amazing!

    I would love for you to share this and link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love french toast, and this looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yum!

    This month my blog's monthly round up Pantry Party has a theme of STUFFED. This delicious recipe would be a perfect addition! If you want to submit this recipe or any others that might fit the theme, check it out here: http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/pantry-party-may-2013-announcemen/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so good! My children would just love them!
    Shannon@CozyCountryLiving

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,
    These Roll Ups are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day Weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips