Melissa's Cuisine: Whole Wheat Buns

Monday, January 09, 2012

Whole Wheat Buns

As I mentioned the other day, Mike and I are trying to incorporate more whole real foods into our menu.  A few months ago our youth group sold sub sandwiches.  They were real simple: a sub bun, 2 kinds of cheese, and 3 kinds of meat.  We only bought 4 and Mike was quite disappointed when they were gone.  I told him there was a simple solution, I'd just make them myself.

I decided that I'd prefer to have him eat whole wheat buns instead of white, and I found a delicious looking recipe to try.  I made these one afternoon and used them for hamburger buns that night.  As you can see, I made a few hamburger sized buns as well as sub style buns.  They were quite large, and that was good for the subs, but I'd probably make the hamburger buns slightly smaller next time.  They were quite filling!  We both enjoyed them and they have become a staple in our house.

Whole Wheat Buns

Makes 8 large buns

You will need: 1-1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon water at 110 degrees
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons gound flax seed
3 cups whole wheat flour

1.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, dissolve the yeast into the water.  Let it sit about 5 minutes, until the mixture is foamy.

2.  Add in the oil, sugar, and salt and mix until combined.

3.  Add in the flax seed and the flour, 1 cup at a time, until well combined.

4.  Knead the dough for 3 minutes, until it is easy to work with.

5.  Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and shape into buns.  (I made 2 round hamburger buns and 6 sub shaped buns.)

6.  Place the buns on a lightly greased cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.

7.  Set in a warm place and let the dough rise for 20 minutes.

8.  Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips