Melissa's Cuisine: Spaghetti Squash

Friday, November 25, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving Day!  We really have so much to be thankful for!

Are you still stuffed from the holiday goodies you consumed yesterday?  Or, did you burn off all those extra calories out shopping this morning?  Either way, I thought a healthy recipe would be ideal for today!

Until recently, I had never had spaghetti squash.  I'm not a fan of squash in general, so I assumed that I wouldn't care for spaghetti squash.  My dad prepared some for Sunday dinner and I took a small spoonful to try it.  It was completely different from what I expected, and Mike liked it as well!  I couldn't get it out of my head so I ventured out to my local farmer's market to see if they still had an spaghetti squash, and they did!  I picked up a medium squash and brought it home to prepare for Mike and myself.  It was so easy and delicious, not to mention super healthy!

I served the spaghetti squash topped with spaghetti sauce and Parmesan as a side with pork and potatoes for dinner, but I took just the spaghetti squash and sauce for lunch to work the next day.  You can serve it either way--a side or as the main course.

Spaghetti Squash

Servings depend on the size of your squash and how you serve it.  One medium squash made 4 side-sized servings.

You will need:
1 spaghetti squash
1 Tablespoon butter
salt
Pasta sauce, optional
Parmesan cheese, optional

1.  Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds and discard.

2.  Place both halves of the squash on a cookie sheet.  Put 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in the center of each piece of squash.

3.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until squash is softened.

4.  Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to form strands and place in a bowl.  Salt to taste.

Serve as is, or if desired, with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm this sounds great. I have 2 squash leftover from yesterday and this could be the way out for them!
    Thanks and take care...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips