Melissa's Cuisine: Skinny Brownies

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Skinny Brownies

These skinny brownies have just 3 ingredients and come together quickly! You'd never guess they're actually healthy!
Melissa's Cuisine: Skinny Brownies
I love trying new things.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago when I did my Avocado: Tips and Tricks post, avocados are a relatively new-to-me fruit.  I first purchased a few to try as a first food for Summer.  My basic rule of thumb is that if I won't eat it, she doesn't have to.  So I had to try a bit of avocado before giving it to her.  I've had guacamole in the past but I've never been a big fan of it, so I really wasn't expecting to like avocados.  I was pleasantly surprised when I did like them, and I've made a few recipes using avocados since then.

So why am I talking about avocados?  Isn't this a brownie post?  Well, remember I told you this recipe had only 3 ingredients?  One of them is avocado!  The other two are water and a box of brownie mix.  Does water even count?  I love recipes that use a boxed mix because it makes it so easy.  (Like these Lemon Crinkle Cookies!)
Melissa's Cuisine: Skinny Brownies
You just take 2 avocados and mash them up really good.  I used my food processor to make sure there weren't any chunks.  Avocado in brownies is weird enough, but chunks of avocado is brownies, no thank you!  Then mix in a bit of water and the brownie mix.  And that's it!  Pour it into a pan and bake.

These brownies are extremely fudgey!  I think their texture is similar to a Lara bar (if you've had one of those before).  They're dense and gooey.  I opted to store them in the fridge since I wasn't sure how avocado would do sitting out on the counter.  I loved eating the brownies cold.

I would consider these brownies to be pretty healthy.  The fat from the typical eggs and oil is replaced by good fats from the avocado.  A large piece of brownie came out to be just under 200 calories.  I figure that's pretty good for such a decadent snack! 
Melissa's Cuisine: Skinny Brownies

These brownies are skinny, unless you eat half a pan...

Not that I would know or anything!

Skinny Brownies

Makes 1 9x13" pan, about 12 servings

Ingredients:
2 avocados (about 1 cup of puree)
1/3 cup water
1 boxed brownie mix

1.  Remove the flesh from the avocado (directions here) and place in your food processor.  Add water and process until smooth.  (If you don't have a food processor, you can also use a blender or mash the avocado with a fork.)

2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the avocado and brownie mix.  (If your food processor is large enough, you can mix everything in there.)

3.  Pour into a greased 9x13" pan.

4.  Bake a 350 for 27-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.

Source: JelliBean Journals 

7 comments:

  1. Love the look of these brownies. I have never tried avocado in a mix, but have used apple butter or pumpkin in the same type of recipe. G'Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have to worry about storing brownies with four kids and a hubby running around...lol. I'd like to give this a try, but can you taste the avocados? Would love for you to share some of recipes on The Yuck Stops Here! recipe link up on Monday @6PM PST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erlene, no you can't taste the avocado a bit! I gave my husband one and he loved it...until I told him what was in it! All you taste is brownie :)

      Delete
  3. I've made brownies with pumpkin but not avocado...it would be a great way to get avocados into my kids since they won't touch hardly anything green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do skinny & brownies really go together!! LOL
    They sound delish! We don't eat much chocolate in this house but I am pinning for later anyway. Thanks for linking up at the Bloggers Brags Weekly Pinterest Party

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea! The avocado probably contributed to the fudgy texture. Love it :-) Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to What'd You Do This Weekend! Pinning :-)

    Ashley @ PioneerMomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fudgyness of them. They look great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips