Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry & Raspberry Cobbler

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Strawberry & Raspberry Cobbler

Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry & Raspberry Cobbler

What is your favorite season?  Mine--without question--is summer.  I love the warmth, the longer days, trips to the beach, and the food!  Summer brings an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables.  I enjoy going to the farmer's market on Saturday mornings and keeping and eye on my garden as I watch my plants grow.

We're at the very beginning of strawberry season around here, and it's starting to show at the farmer's market.  Berries are quite expensive now, but as the season gets into full swing, the prices will go down.  Typically I go strawberry picking each summer, but I don't think that's going to happen at 8.5 months pregnant!  Good thing I have the farmer's market...
Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry & Raspberry Cobbler

This month's Lady Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge brought together two of my favorite summer berries--strawberries and raspberries.  Typically I enjoy my fruit fresh and plain, but for this challenge, I had to put them into a dessert.  I decided to make a dessert similar my Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and make a Strawberry Raspberry Cobbler.

This cobbler is chock full of plump red berries.  They're sprinkled with a little bit of sugar and then dotted with a bit of butter.  A thin batter is poured on top of the berries before baking.  It really creates the perfect ratio of berries to cake.  I made this cobbler twice in one week--the first time with just strawberries and the second time with both strawberries and raspberries so I could use it for this challenge.  I didn't share the first pan with anyone, but I thought I better be nicer the second time around :)
Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry & Raspberry Cobbler

Strawberry and Raspberry Cobbler

Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 quart strawberries, washed and hulled
1 pint raspberries
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk

1.  Slice the strawberries into thick slices and place in a greased 9x9" pan.

2.  Place the raspberries on top of the strawberries.

3.  Sprinkle berries with 1 Tablespoon of sugar.

4.   Dot the berries with small pieces of butter.

5.  In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and milk until just combined.

6.  Pour the batter evenly over the berries.

7.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour, until golden brown.

Slightly adapted from: The Kitchen is My Playground

14 comments:

  1. You just cannot beat a good cobbler! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the soon-to-be new baby in your household, Melissa. Your cobbler and the cheery berries seem to sing deliciousness =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect summer dessert! It won't be long before your new family member arrives...so exciting for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I love your cobbler!!! What a great idea for the challenge. Looks delicious!

    Wow, 8 1/2 months? Congratulations! Maybe you and baby can go strawberry picking together next summer. :)

    I missed the link-up time for the Behind The Curtain Dessert Challenge, hope you'll stop by and check out my contribution: http://thecookssister.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/behind-the-curtain-dessert-challenge-strawberries-and-raspberries-stewed-rhubarb-with-strawberries-and-raspberries/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe! Perfect for the warmer weather and so simple to make! Happy I found your blog via the Dessert Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your recipe. Thanks for participating in Behind The Curtain Dessert Challenge. I can't wait to see what you create for next months Blueberries and Lemon Challenge! Have a GREAT week! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Cobbler looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking cobbler! I LOVE fresh fruit cobblers in the summertime, especially with some ice-cream! Yours looks so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love cobblers. a good cobbler like this is such a treat in summer !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa,
    I'm featuring this on my 19 Tempting Raspberry Recipes round up - come check it out! :)
    http://www.jugglingactmama.com/2013/09/raspberry-recipes.html
    Ang, Juggling Act Mama

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! I hated strawberry when I was a kid, but now I love it---my mom makes the best strawberry cobbler, but this looks even better :)
    Highland Mills Maid Service visit site

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips