Melissa's Cuisine: Cinnabon Copy Cat

Monday, March 19, 2012

Cinnabon Copy Cat

Confession time:  I've never had a Cinnabon!  Have you?  I've heard incredible things about them, but I have to confess, I'm too cheap to buy one.  Plus, I honestly don't know where the nearest Cinnabon is...I'd probably have to drive to the airport.  After making this recipe, I don't need to try a Cinnabon, because these are are so delicious!

Anyway, cinnamon rolls are one of my absolute favorite things to make.  I love rolling up the dough and cutting pretty rolls out.  And yes, these rolls are pretty!  Seriously, I think this dough held up the best of any I've ever made (and I've made a lot!  See here.  And here.  And here.)  The result was a perfectly formed cinnamon roll.
I found this fabulous recipe at Jamie's blog, Our Eating Habits.  I was assigned to her blog for the Secret Recipe Club, and as usual, I had a hard time deciding what recipe to make.  Quite a few of them caught my eye, so I narrowed the list down to 7 or 8 and had Mike choose.  I was thrilled that he choose the Cinnabons! 
Secret Recipe Club
This recipe surely did not disappoint.  I did modify it slightly, because the original recipe was made for a bread machine.  I have a bread machine, but I really enjoy making the dough myself, so I re-wrote the instructions to use a stand mixer.  I also did not have cream cheese in the house when I made these, so rather than a cream cheese frosting, I made a basic powdered sugar icing.  I like to pour a thin layer over my rolls hot out of the oven so it soaks in and makes them gooey.  Then after they've cooled, I add another layer of icing.  I hope you'll make these, and if you've ever had a Cinnabon, you'll have to tell me if they're close!

Cinnabon Copy Cat Cinnamon Rolls

Makes 20 rolls

You will need:
Dough:
1 cup warm milk, 110 degrees
2-1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2 eggs
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine, softened

Icing:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

1.  Pour warm milk and 1 Tablespoon sugar into the bowl of your mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top of it.  Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, until frothy. 

2.  Stir in eggs and margarine until well mixed.

3.  Add in the flour, salt, and remaining sugar and knead for 5 minutes.

4.  Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 hour, or until double. 

5.  When the dough has risen, punch it down and let it sit on a floured surface for 10 minutes.

6.  Roll dough out into a 16x21" rectangle and spread softened margarine on top of it.

7.  Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over dough.

8.  Roll the dough up length-wise and cut rolls into approximately 1" slices.

9.  Place rolls in a greased 9x13" pan.  Cover and let them rise for 30 minutes. 

10.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes--be careful not to over-bake!

11.  While rolls are baking, combine icing ingredients.  Spread over warm rolls.

Store cinnamon rolls in an airtight container.

Adapted from:  Our Eating Habits, who found it on Allrecipes

28 comments:

  1. I've never had a cinnabon either, but your replica sure looks good - and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnabon is SO SO good. If you ever get the chance to try one - do it!!! NOM NOM NOM. I think I have the same recipe as this one and it really does taste like them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to have to splurge and try one next time I get the chance!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you liked the recipe! It is a family favorite in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I just love cinnabon! (But not the cost!) These sound heavenly! My kids would gobble these up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love any and every cinnamon roll and cinnabons are a guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! We love cinnamon rolls! I'll definitely have to give these a try VERY soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I travel a lot for business and Cinnabon is my guilty pleasure in the airport! Nice SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness....I usually shy away from cinnamon rolls. I can't eat just one! After seeing these and reading the recipe, I know that they are in my future....
    Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cinnabon too. These look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am absolutely crazy about cinnabon! It is so addicting! I must try this recipe asap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yes... I've had Cinnabon! The smell is absolutely divine. My FIL one time brought me back some of their cinnamon, and I have to admit it was a stronger flavor than what we normally buy and it was wonderful. These are on our list to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnabon cinnamon? That sounds like something I need to try! Do you know if you can buy it in stores, or just at a Cinnabon?

      Delete
  12. It is hard for me to narrow down my SRC choice as well but it looks like you made a great choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing like homemade cinnamon buns baking in the kitchen. I haven't had some in so long but this recipe is going on my list to try. Excellent selection for SRC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! I can't wait to make them! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously drooling right now. Love the icing too! Bet your house smelled soooo good while these were baking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melissa....these look amazing! Jamie is such a great baker with some really great recipes. I'm so glad you adapted this one...since I don't have a bread maker. Now I'm going to copycat the copycat! Seriously...these look so scrumptious! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look oh so yummy! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh I love me a Cinnabon. It's been a long, long time. But I'll be making cinnamon rolls for Easter, so...now I'm thinking I want to make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The best thing about a Cinnabon is the aroma when you walk into the mall! Don't get me wrong they are delicious just not as good as they smell. haha! We love cinnamon rolls at our house and yours do look very good! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love cinnabon...yours looks even better!
    thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful looking and sounding cinnamon buns but I dare not make them as I'd eat way too many.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore cinnamon rolls, these look wonderful!

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  23. navigate to these guys Web Site Discover More Here redirected here website link dolabuy ysl

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for writing this quality informational content. I appreciate your writing technique. I like your all Cinnabon look like very yummy. Keep sharing more recipe with us. Now it's time to get Long distance taxi for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very details explanation provided on this topic. I appreciate you effort and cinnabon recipe is amazing and tasty. I try this recipe at home. Thanks for sharing this racipe with us. Now it's time to get inbound call center for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips