Melissa's Cuisine: Incredible Cinnamon Rolls

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Incredible Cinnamon Rolls

My mother-in-law and her friend used to buy cinnamon rolls from Costco; a few months ago, they went and were told that Costco no longer carried the cinnamon rolls.  They were incredibly disappointed, and I have to say I was too since we always benefited from the large pan of cinnamon rolls she'd buy!

Then, a few weeks ago she got a recipe from a friend for cinnamon rolls that were "just as good or better" than Costco's rolls.  She had never made anything with yeast before so she asked me to help her out.  It was a lot of fun, especially seeing her first experience using yeast, and I think she'll be trying more yeast recipes in the future!  My favorite cinnamon roll recipe is Pioneer Woman's, but I would rank these as a very, very close second!  (So close in fact, that I had a really hard time telling the difference between the two rolls and just couldn't choose a definite favorite!)

You will need:
For the dough:
2 packages yeast (or 4-1/2 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water, 100-110 degrees
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup margarine
3 eggs, well beaten
6-7 cups flour


Filling:
4 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon


Sticky bottoms:
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2 Tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup margarine


Frosting:
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 Tablespoon sugar in water. Let it stand until it becomes bubbly and foamy.

2.  Scald milk in a medium sauce pan.

3.  Add 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and margarine to milk.  Cool to lukewarm.

4.  Pour milk mixture into yeast mixture.  Stir in eggs.

5.  Add 2 cups of flour and mix well.  Add in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.  Knead until dough is no longer sticky, adding more flour as needed.

6.  Cover dough and let it rise until double, about 1-1/2 hours.

7.  While dough is rising, mix brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and margarine in a saucepan until margarine is melted.  Bring up to a slow boil and then remove from heat.

8.  Divide mixture between 2 9x13 pans.

9.  When dough has risen, punch it down and divide in half.

10.  Roll each half of dough into a 12x10" rectangle.

11.  Melt 4 Tablespoons margarine and brush over each dough rectangle.

12.  Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over each dough rectangle.

13.  Roll dough in a line toward you.  Slice into 1" slices and place in pan.

14.  Cover pans and let the rolls rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

15.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

16.  While rolls are cooling, beat together cream cheese, margarine, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy.

17.  Spread over cinnamon rolls.

8 comments:

  1. Homemade is so much better anyway! Who knows maybe you will gain some new customers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made homemade cinnamon rolls before! These looks delicious...my mouth is literally watering! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade cinnamon rolls definitely can't be beat, especially when they're warm straight out of the oven. Those look super good. Thanks for linking them up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made homemade cinnamon rolls, even though everyone raves about PW's recipe. I've never tried hers, because she adds coffee - and I don't like coffee. I know, I know, I could just leave it out. But I haven't. Your recipe, though? Is tempting me! Especially the sticky bottoms part - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be the ultimate for me if I could learn to make cinnamon rolls. I'm always scared of a recipe whenever I see the word "yeast" in it. Your cinnamon rolls look delicious! I wish I could have one for breakfast or a snack. I would like to invite you to join my dessert linky party on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/05/sweet-indulgences-sunday-4.html

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade is always better!

    yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! I'm gonna need to make these for my hubby for Father's Day, I think! Thanks for sharing at Make Something Monday!!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. <3 homemade cinnamon rolls!

    When I don't have the time (or energy) in a pinch I use Immacalate Baking Co. cresent rolls (I am naming their brand because it's mostly free of yucky ingredients) and pinch the seams together in the shape of a rectangle. Add the filling like above, roll up, cut into rolls, and put in a muffin tin to cook (temp. and time approx. according to the cresent package). I use simpler icing with just milk, confectionary sugar and vanilla.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips