Melissa's Cuisine: Alphabet Sugar Cookies

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Alphabet Sugar Cookies

Alphabet Sugar Cookies
Here's yet another recipe I made for my Wall Expressions party (last month!)  I showed you my Superbowl cookies a few weeks ago, and I used the same fondant recipe to make these cookies.  I decided to go with alphabet cookies because they reminded me of the ABC blocks blocks I used to play with as a kid and I thought they would be perfect for a word-filled party!  The "i love u" cookie was a special treat for my hard-working husband! You can go here to get my fondant recipe, but I recently realized I've never shared my rolled sugar cookie dough recipe.  This is my favorite recipe that I use for making decorated cookies, it's easy and has a light texture that I just love!


You will need:


3 cups flour
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks margarine, softened (16 Tablespoons)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1/4 cup vanilla yogurt, divided (You can also use plain yogurt or sour cream)


1.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.


2.  In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl if you're not using a stand mixer), beat together margarine and sugars until they're creamy and combined.


3.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined.


4.  Mix in 2 Tablespoons of the vanilla yogurt until it's well combined.  Then add half the flour mixture and stir until almost combined.


5.  Mix in remaining yogurt and then the remaining flour mixture until well combined.  Try to restrain yourself from eating all the cookie dough! (Yes, it's that good!)


6.  Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until dough is firm.  You can put dough in an airtight container and refrigerate it until you're ready to use it.  I do this quite often, if I have time one night to make the dough, I'll make it ahead and bake it later!


7.  When you're ready to make your cookies, roll dough out on a floured surface until it's about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into your desired shapes.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies are lightly browned.  Cool before decorating.

PermanetPosies.com

WCWjpg

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Those cookies are seriously so adorable! I love the way the colors came out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just wonderful. Seriously one of the cutest things I have ever seen. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissa for linking these cute bad boys up to Made it on Monday! I love how BRIGHT the colors are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man....these look so cute and I think I could actually make them. My grandkids would love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips